Back in NJ - Found Something New

itsronni

Hello everyone! Long time no see, I moved back to NJ a few months ago and finally went fossil hunting for the first time again this week.

I found this vert in Ramenessin, and at first glance thought it was a shark vert, albeit I did think about the odd shape but didn’t give it much thought before I went back to sifting. Once I got home and examined it closer, however, I realized it was something else. It has what appears to be two holes on the bottom, although one of them I’m debating if it’s really there and just filled with sediment or just something else, and one on the top. Instead of being round, the sides are flattened. 

Now, I remember the two holes on the bottom and the one on top as being described as distinguishing of plesiosaur vertebrae. However, it’s smaller than their reported size. I failed to find any good reference pictures of crocodile vertebrae to compare it to, but I was wondering if it would be croc instead. I don’t like to jump to plesiosaur when I haven’t really gotten my hand on NJ fossils in over a year. I’m pretty rusty on my fossils, and have the initial excitement of getting back into it possibly clouding my judgement.

Let me know if you need any extra pics, I lost my magnifier in the move and I’m really feeling the loss right now, lol! Thanks!

IMG_7021.jpeg

IMG_7022.jpeg

IMG_7023.jpeg

IMG_7041.jpeg

IMG_7042.jpeg

It's more than likely a fish vertebra, maybe a small shark or ray but it's hard to say beyond that, I've see shark verts with the paired indentations before. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

@PaleoNoel okay sweet, that was another possibility in my head, the holes just threw me off. Usually when I find the fish verts they have the little sticky out parts on em, figure this one is just really worn down then?