Fossil trip to Mazonia

blancostudio

Hello,

I am planning a fossil-hunting trip to Mazonia, this will be my first time going, I appreciate any suggestions and advice.

Thanks!

Best advice would be wait until spring... Very overgrown and infested with ticks right now.

12 hours ago, blancostudio said:

Hello,

I am planning a fossil-hunting trip to Mazonia, this will be my first time going, I appreciate any suggestions and advice.

Thanks!

I would take a look at ESCONI, they have field trips throughout the year that might make a good first trip as you'll be around those that are familiar with the fossils. If you do go now, as connorp said, be prepared for lots of vegetation, lots of bugs, high temperatures, and a lot of tough hiking. Personally that sounds like a ton of fun to me, but others may not enjoy as much :) Also - I encourage you to read through as many Mazon Creek-focused threads on this forum as you can before you go, the concretions are mixed in with a lot of look-alike rocks and there's certain shapes that are much more productive than others. The worst thing would be to fight through the elements only to come home with a bucket of duds! 

16 hours ago, connorp said:

Very overgrown and infested with ticks right now.

Yeah, but that's how you earn your wings! If you've got the bug, go for it and you'll get more -- bugs that is. of every kind. I also recommend joining ESCONI (Earth Sciences Club Of Nothern Illinois) and waiting for their next outing to the area. The I&M Canal  Heritage Association has pay trips to the creek which are coming up in August, I believe, but are probably booked solid for this year. You can go it alone if you have the urge, but your time would be more prodictively spent having a beer at your local bar.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

6 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Yeah, but that's how you earn your wings! If you've got the bug, go for it and you'll get more -- bugs that is. of every kind. I also recommend joining ESCONI (Earth Sciences Club Of Nothern Illinois) and waiting for their next outing to the area. The I&M Canal  Heritage Association has pay trips to the creek which are coming up in August, I believe, but are probably booked solid for this year. You can go it alone if you have the urge, but your time would be more prodictively spent having a beer at your local bar.

Mark, I heard this week that the I & M Canal fundraiser trip is no longer. :shakehead:    Sad news !!

Phil

19 hours ago, flipper559 said:

Mark, I heard this week that the I & M Canal fundraiser trip is no longer. :shakehead:    Sad news !!

It's getting harder to gain access to MC material. I guess it's the same everywhere as far as fossils go.

• I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I'll be out there late next week ( likely friday and saturday. I am not afraid to get hardcore- I got the gear for bugs and brush. I'm used to snakes and scorpions...great lakes region is a literal walk in the park.

Never been myself, but been hitting the satellite imagery and maps hard.

If you ain't afraid to get hardcore, welcome to join me.

One tip I'll give you: skip the DEET bug repellent. It is obsolete chemistry. Treat yourself with a 20% picaridin and your clothing and gear with a permetherin spray. I also wear a Rothco Operator cap with an integrated bug mesh. You should never use insect repellent on your face.

Additionally, you need to able able to carry at least a gallon of water in addition to your 5 gallon bucket of concretions.

• I found this Informative 2