Hello everyone!
I'm new here and just a paleontology fan. I love Mosasaurs and I always wanted part of a jaw. I recently saw a post on a website that I'd purchased items before, so it is trusted by me. I found this mosasaur jaw at a very reasonable price but I doubt if it is 100% original or a composite. Size of jaw is 24 x 7 x 2,5 cm. Could someone help me decide whether or not to buy this piece?

Thanks in advance (attached all the available photos)

mosasaurus (4).jpg

mosasaurus (3).jpg

mosasaurus (2).jpg

mosasaurus (1).jpg

mosasaurus.jpg

I would not buy it. Definitely a composition and for some reason I think the teeth are facing the wrong direction.

• I Agree 3

Correct. I forgot to mention that on the second-last photo we can see on the right tooth that it is glued ("sand" between the tooth and the bone).

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I also think that the teeth are glued together. On the website said that the piece was restored, but I didn't know how much it could be., if they found the entire jaw fragmented and glued it together, or if they belong to different mosasaurs.

Thanks you all!!

Looks like a complete fabrication, to me.  :(

Run far away.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Now my question is; the jaw is composite by various mosasaurs bones, or is a carved bone glued together?

4 hours ago, Izan said:

Now my question is; the jaw is composite by various mosasaurs bones, or is a carved bone glued together?

Looks like a real section of mosasaur jaw (probably the maxilla of one of the smaller species) that has had teeth glued on. 

• I Agree 2