Desrosiers1718

What is the best way to remove layers of b72 from a fossil bone, I know acetone works but is in best to apply with a brush, or can you pour or dip the fossil in the acetone?   

Was your bone relatively stable before application of the Paraloid? And was it broken and glued? What is the reason for removing the Paraloid? 

Answers to these questions will allow a useful reply. The original condition of the bone and your purpose for removing will define the appropriate way to proceed.

Are you trying to remove all of it, or just a surface build-up?

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

The bone is stable in a rock matrix,  I have been applying b72 on the bone before and after soaking it in vinegar to remove the sandstone matrix,   Eventually I want to remove some of the b72 buildup.  

On 7/18/2023 at 1:44 PM, Desrosiers1718 said:

The bone is stable in a rock matrix,  I have been applying b72 on the bone before and after soaking it in vinegar to remove the sandstone matrix,   Eventually I want to remove some of the b72 buildup.  

You can remove via surface application of acetone applied with a lint free cotton cloth. You can also soak the bone in acetone to remove it but there’s a chance that the Paraloid is holding g microscopic cracks together. Soaking will elimirthis bond as well, potentially destabilizing the specimen.