Show Us Your Fossil Assemblage/grouping

crinus

I have always loved looking at groups fossil on one piece of rock. I find them very interesting. So over the years I have collected such pieces and every so often I spend the time to prep them out. Here are a few that I have prepped out over the years.

This first one is from the Waldron Shale of St. Paul, Indiana. I took the rock home thinking I had a crinod and a horn coral. Turns out a had a bit more and the horn coral in actually a worm tube. Phyla represented on this piece are: Echinodermata, Arthropoda, Cnidaria, Bryozoa, Brachiopoda and Annelida,

post-391-12754972411611_thumb.jpg

The next piece is also from the Waldron Shale of St. Paul, Indiana. I took this piece as a possible grouping of many types of fossils and it turned out just fine. Phyla represented are: Echinodermata, Cnidaria, Brachiopoda, Bryozoa and Porifera.

post-391-12754975473027_thumb.jpg

This next piece is from the Grant Lake Formation of Maysville, Kentucky. I took the piece for the edrioasteroids but when I started prepping it, I couldn't stop at just the edrios and had to clean everything. Phyla represented are: Echinodermata, Brachiopoda, Bryozoa

post-391-12754980273324_thumb.jpg

This topic would not be complete without a piece from my favorite quarry. This one is from the Bobcaygeon formation of Brechin, Ontario Canada. Phyla represented are: Echinodermata (Crinoidea and Cystoidea), and Bryozoa.

post-391-12754982070191_thumb.jpg

A piece with only brachiopods and a bryozoan on it. It is from the Verulam formation of Brechin, Ontario, Canada.

post-391-12754986119069_thumb.jpg

This final piece is what caused me to start this topic. I finished this piece yesterday and just had to share it with everyone. It is from the Waldron Shale of Waldron, Indiana. Phyla represented are: Echinodermata, Arthropoda, Brachiopoda, Bryozoa and Mollusca. In this case I do have a before and after picture.

post-391-12754984629516_thumb.jpg post-391-12754983888134_thumb.jpg

Now hopefully there are others that collect fossil groupings (whether intentionally or not). Post them here for me and everyone else to see.

crinus

biggrin.gif Crinus,

These are Great plates!!! wub.gif

Great prep jobs!

Thanks for showing us, and starting this topic, ... great idea!

Gotta go look in my collection, and get some pics up!

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Crinus, again you astound with the quality of your collection (and your work)! Each of these would make a fine interpretive display for their respective formations; together, they are a museum :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Love the pics. Really like the before and after piece. I too like rocks full of different things. Really lets you know what lived with what, like a snapshot of time. I will try to add some to this posting later tonight after work.