Prepping a Modern Fox skull

Darktooth

Wasn't sure where to put this. I know there are some members who collect modern bone and skulls and my daughter found a modern Fox skull in the woods today. She was wondering what she could do to clean as well as preserve it.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Boil to clean, or you could also leave outside but that has the risk of an animal taking it.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

1. Remove skin and other easily removable tissue if you can.

2. Boil with mild heat that water barelyboils. It takes 1-3 hours. Check ones in awhile is tissue easily removable and watch out overboiling, it might make weaker skull parts fall apart.

3. Clean skull from soft tissue with tweesers, knife, toothbrush etc. It might look dirty at this part.

4. Let it dry in an good place atleast few days. Week might be good time to wait.

5. You can use hydrogen peroxide based whitening agent. You get it from hunting shops or pharmacy. If it has instructions use it adviced. Other wise you can smear it in the skull and use roll bandage or plastic wrap so it gets more time to effect. Let it be overnight and after that let it dry in peace.

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

And if you can't work on it at the moment, you can also freeze it until you get the gears ready.

This probably sounds weird but I used to know a guy who would place skulls, shells etc with tissue left on or in them on anthills. The right kind of ants will clean them totally. (Disclaimer : we lived in Panama at the time.)…

If you want an exceptional skull and have a few dollars to blow you can check with local taxidermist. They put skulls in a cage with certain types of beetles that then eat it clean. It costs a bit but the skulls come out superb! Otherwise the boil method already mentioned works good (don't boil it in the house... ewww)

• I found this Informative 2

I want to thank everyone that responded. I should have explained that the skull appears to have been out in the elements for awhile so all of the tissue is gone but it is discolored. It is not in the greatest condition. I haven't seen it first hand, but my daughter says it seems fragile. Mainly looking for ways to whiten it and consolidate for strength. I can try the method @North mentioned  for whitening. 

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

That does look fragile. I would try to use a little dawn and a tooth brush to gently clean off the dirt, and put it out in the sun to let it bleach. I use a thin solution Paraloid B-72 to stabilize pretty much everything (except coprolites - NEVER, NEVER put glue on fossil poo).  That said, I really don't know much about cleaning modern bones. This is just what I have done a couple of times on bones I've collected. I wasn't looking to get the perfect bleached look.

I process lots of extant species for the Uni I work at.

The standard is to soak in sodium hydroxide till clean after boiling to remove flesh. As NaOH is dangerous and not readily available, regular household bleach should be used at 250mL per two Liters water. Takes a few weeks. once clean, it should then get a rinse in 50% white vinegar and allowed to air dry. No further preservation is needed, save gluing loose teeth with PVA glue. 

Edited by LabRatKing
  • I found this Informative 4

If it seems fragile, your biggest worry is micro-organisms that starts to break down the bone material.

12% hydrogen peroxide should whiten the skull as long its clean. It is also effective against fungi and bacteria, so it should solve that issue too. Just be carefull with it, because it is oxidising.

• I found this Informative 2

35 minutes ago, North said:

If it seems fragile, your biggest worry is micro-organisms that starts to brake down the bone material.

12% hydrogen peroxide should whiten the skull as long its clean. It is also effective against fungi and bacteria, so it should solve that issue too. Just be carefull with it, because it is oxidising.

H2O2 will soften and destroy the sutures of the fragile zygomatic arches and nasal bones.

• I found this Informative 3

34 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

H2O2 will soften and destroy the sutures of the fragile zygomatic arches and nasal bones.

Are you certain about that? I have never heard bad word against H202 and its also professionaly used in here.

But I have heard horror stories about bleach.

What main component bleach you have used has? Our bleaches are H202 or NaOCl based.

• I Agree 1

I don’t know what I am talking about but I can only comment on a passed experience. My friend has a city farm he gave me a skull . All the flesh was gone, I cleaned it over a sort time with a house hold bleach spray for mould and mildew . This cleaned it up very nicely. This was 10 years ago and i had no problem with it at all and It is hanging in my shed now. 

Edited by Bobby Rico

On 7/20/2023 at 11:14 AM, North said:

Are you certain about that? I have never heard bad word against H202 and its also professionaly used in here.

But I have heard horror stories about bleach.

What main component bleach you have used has? Our bleaches are H202 or NaOCl based.

Depends on the concentration. Consumer grade is too weak. Lab grade is too much. We quit using H2O2 for voucher specimens years ago as hydroxides take longer, but turn any remaining flesh to a transparent gel that is easily removed, yet doesn't destroy connective tissue making articulation and preservation easier. Any tissue you miss dessicates and stays clear and sutures aren't damaged.

9 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Depends on the concentration. Consumer grade is too weak. Lab grade is too much. We quit using H2O2 for voucher specimens years ago as hydroxides take longer, but turn any remaining flesh to a transparent gel that is easily removed, yet doesn't destroy connective tissue making articulation and preservation easier. Any tissue you miss dessicates and stays clear and sutures aren't damaged.

Standard H202 used is 12% but can go with 10%.

Laboratories here have 50% and 30% H2O2 which would indeed need diluting.

NaOH makes sense because it is quite gentle on bone. But access is bit too difficult for common use.

Also it is needed to mention that NaOCl common in bleach, reacts with vinegar and releases Cl-gas. So safety caution is needed.

On 7/23/2023 at 2:17 AM, North said:

Standard H202 used is 12% but can go with 10%.

Laboratories here have 50% and 30% H2O2 which would indeed need diluting.

NaOH makes sense because it is quite gentle on bone. But access is bit too difficult for common use.

Also it is needed to mention that NaOCl common in bleach, reacts with vinegar and releases Cl-gas. So safety caution is needed.

Yep.