Collector9658

Found what looks like a Phacopid trilobite here in Missouri. It was found weathered, but I believe it's from the Bailey Limestone. Is there a fauna list or reference anyone has on these trilobites they could share?

20230719_161848.jpg

20230719_161835.jpg

20230719_161851.jpg

20230719_161854.jpg

This looks more like a dalmanatid to me, which does occur in the Bailey limestone. Any chance to do any prep to suss out more diagnostic details? In certain angles, this also looks like a calymenid, too. :headscratch:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

5 minutes ago, Kane said:

This looks more like a dalmanatid to me, which does occur in the Bailey limestone. Any chance to do any prep to suss out more diagnostic details? In certain angles, this also looks like a calymenid, too. :headscratch:

I heard there are both Calymenid and Dalmanitid trilobites in the formation. I really am not certain which this is though. I did also find some large, isolated dalmanitid cephalons as well on the same outings. I'll add a few photos of those as well.

This is outside my comfort level to prepare, but I am sending it to one of Canada's best preparators soon to be cleaned up. 

20230719_180715.jpg

20230719_180004.jpg

Nice dalmanatid cephalons! Hopefully our mutual friend in Mississauga can perform his usual magic to reveal a bit more detail on the mystery bug. :dinothumb::trilo:

If it were dalmanatid, in all probability the pleural tips would terminate in short spines, and the rounded pleural ends suggest calymenid.

There is also a resemblance to Calymene clavicula from the Henryhouse.

• I Agree 2

Well done finding some Bailey trilobites here in Missouri!

Below is the requested Bailey Formation faunal list, from Branson (1944). I am sure that some of the names are out of date (I have not tried to update them) and that some species are just plain missing (e.g., Prosocephalus tridentifera*).

TRILOBITA
Dalmanites carlwegi Tansey
Dalmanites cf. Dalmanites griffoni Clarke
Dalmanites sp.
Goldius barrandii Hall
Odontochile dunbari Delo
Phacops hudsonicus Hall
Phacops logani Hall
Probolium palaceus (Savage)

___________________________________________________________________________________________
* Presumably should be tridentiferus, but I'm not sure of the current formal taxonomic status.
  • I found this Informative 2

15 hours ago, pefty said:

Below is the requested Bailey Formation faunal list, from Branson (1944). I am sure that some of the names are out of date (I have not tried to update them) and that some species are just plain missing (e.g., Prosocephalus tridentifera*).

TRILOBITA
Dalmanites sp.
Goldius barrandii Hall
Odontochile dunbari Delo
Phacops hudsonicus Hall
Phacops logani Hall

___________________________________________________________________________________________
* Presumably should be tridentiferus, but I'm not sure of the current formal taxonomic status.

Do you have the full citation for this? I don't seem to have it. The 1944 Branson text didn't seem to have this list. :headscratch:

Link to Bailey Fm references; note Croneis has 1944 date.

“BUCKLEY, E. R., and H. A. BUEHLER, 1904, Quarrying industry in Missouri: Missouri Bureau of Geology and Mines, v. 2, 371 p.
COLLINSON, CHARLES, L. E. BECKER, G. W. JAMES, J. W. KOENIG, and D. H. SWANN, 1967a, Illinois Basin, in International symposium on the Devonian System: Alberta Society of Petroleum Geologists, v. 1, p. 940-962; Illinois State Geological Survey Reprint 1968-G.
CRONEIS, C. G., 1944, Devonian of southeastern Missouri: Illinois State Geological Survey Bulletin 68, p. 103-131.
PRYOR, W. A., and C. A. ROSS, 1962, Geology of the Illinois parts of the Cairo, La Center, and Thebes Quadrangles: Illinois State Geological Survey Circular 332, 39 p.
WELLER, J. M., R. M. GROGAN, and F. E. TIPPIE, 1952, Geology of the fluorspar deposits of Illinois: Illinois State Geological Survey Bulletin 76, 147 p.”

https://ilstratwiki.web.illinois.edu/wiki/Bailey_Limestone

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

21 hours ago, pefty said:

TRILOBITA
Dalmanites sp.
Goldius barrandii Hall
Odontochile dunbari Delo
Phacops hudsonicus Hall
Phacops logani Hall

Thank you! I've found at least 2 different Dalmanatid heads, and I think 2 or 3 different pygidia. Also found one in the Bainbridge formation, needs cleaned. I think I can only ID one of the cephalon currently until i clean others. I'm extremely excited about this other phacopid I found today, schizochroal eye and all. It will get prepped hopefully as well.

20230721_140139.jpg

Edited by Collector9658
To add photo

On 7/20/2023 at 12:24 PM, Isotelus2883 said:

If it were dalmanatid, in all probability the pleural tips would terminate in short spines, and the rounded pleural ends suggest calymenid.

There is also a resemblance to Calymene clavicula from the Henryhouse.

Calymene is what i first thought as well.