Prep Work Is Indeed Hard

Lindsey

I insisted on helping with the prep work as I want to have part in this awesome find. I don't really have any tools so I'm actually using that tool that you use to push your cuticles up with :blush: but hey it works pretty darn well. I've still got a long way to go but here is a pic of what I've gotten so far, in the process I've also uncovered a non-mosasaur tooth located above the upper jaw bone in the pic. I've posted a before and after pic. I wish I would've put the two pics together as one, but it's late and my mind can't focus enough to get it done.

post-2208-12755491638303_thumb.jpg

post-2208-12755491955215_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lindsey

that slab is a pretty special find and would benefit hugely from being prepped with pro tools. i feel certain you could find someone in your area with a chicago pneumatic and and air abrasive unit...

the difference between the methods can be almost unbelievable.

Prolly the first time any Mosasaur got its nails done...

Looking good :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Lindsey, it is a special find like tracer said. It looks amazing. You could be seeing extra teeth from the mosasaur's pterygoids (another set of teeth in the roof of the mouth - like a snake has). Leaving some of the matrix around the teeth will help keep them whole. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Lindsey -

Just take your time. I prepped my 17-foot fish with nothing more than hand tools. The matrix looks relatively soft. You might go to your art supply store and find some wood carving chisles. You'll tear them up on the rock, but you can keep sharpening them with a normal knife sharpening stone. Just go slow so you don't dig into hidden bones and teeth. You're doing great!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Unless you think or know that there is a lot more of the skull in the matrix, I would not clean it any further.

The matrix is somewhat soft, have also been using a brush to take off stuff slowly. With the way everything looks I would be too afraid to use a chisel or anything that would be more abrasive than a scraper I'm just not skilled enough, my plan really is to just get everything cleaned up and presentable, I don't plan on exposing the already exposed teeth anymore than they are, I definitely don't want anything to fall out

The matrix is somewhat soft, have also been using a brush to take off stuff slowly. With the way everything looks I would be too afraid to use a chisel or anything that would be more abrasive than a scraper I'm just not skilled enough, my plan really is to just get everything cleaned up and presentable, I don't plan on exposing the already exposed teeth anymore than they are, I definitely don't want anything to fall out

Since you are relatively new to prepping, I'd work on the first piece you found -- verts and ribs are a lot easier to prep than skulls. You'll be an old pro once you get that done. The skull won't be so scary then.

Since you are relatively new to prepping, I'd work on the first piece you found -- verts and ribs are a lot easier to prep than skulls. You'll be an old pro once you get that done. The skull won't be so scary then.

I would have to agree with Xiphactinus. You will be more upset with yourself if you accidentally damage or scratch the skull then the block of the verts. By the time you finish those verts, you will be a pro.

cheers,

PzF

The only way anyone learns how to prep is by doing.

Keep up the good work, it looks great

Frankly, I wouldn't touch it...for the reasons stated above, and also the fact that it is pretty spectacular--as is. :wub:

Be true to the reality you create.

I think it looks great as it is. Keep up the good work and go get the rest. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Well I at least thought the teeth needed to be exposed and it appears they all are now, so many are missing from being tumbled in the river. Thanks everyone for all the advice.