Strange crocodile scute from Ramanessin Brook

Absilon

Several days ago, I found what appears to be a dermal scute from a Primitive Gavial-like Crocodile (Thoracosaurus neocesariensis) at Ramanessin Brook.  I was hoping that someone here can confirm that this is what I think it is, and also shed some light on why it is so different looking from all the others I have seen.  It appears to have a large flat area that is clear of any indents, which cover the entire piece in all other dermal scutes I have seen come out of this location.  Perhaps this item is not what I thought it was.  

Dermal Armor Scute - Primitive Gavial-like Crocodile (Thoracosaurus neocesariensis) - Ramanessin Brook, Holmdel, Monmouth Co., NJ 1a.jpg

426561721_DermalArmorScute-PrimitiveGavial-likeCrocodile(Thoracosaurusneocesariensis)-RamanessinBrookHolmdelMonmouthCo_NJ1b.jpg

859592254_DermalArmorScute-PrimitiveGavial-likeCrocodile(Thoracosaurusneocesariensis)-RamanessinBrookHolmdelMonmouthCo_NJ1c.jpg

Dermal Armor Scute - Primitive Gavial-like Crocodile (Thoracosaurus neocesariensis) - Ramanessin Brook, Holmdel, Monmouth Co., NJ 1d.jpg

1957481115_DermalArmorScute-PrimitiveGavial-likeCrocodile(Thoracosaurusneocesariensis)-RamanessinBrookHolmdelMonmouthCo_NJ1e.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It looks like an osteoderm from a Crocodyliform.  Thoracosaurus is a "probable" candidate since its typically found in those deposits.  Not a Scute they are different than osteoderms. 

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with crocodile osteoderm. Actually @Jeffrey P found one on a trip I was on that looked very similar to yours.

Edited by frankh8147

I agree, too. I responded elsewhere (FB Fossil Forum?) about having one very similar from Ramanessin Brook. Excellent find!

Thank you to everyone for your very informative answers. I am still learning, and this forum has been an invaluable resource.  I will be going back to that spot tomorrow to see what else I can find.  If I find anything interesting, I'll be sure to post it here. 

• Enjoyed 1