Trying to identify

Donna Truhan

I bought some Baltic Amber online, company states it is from Lithuania. The pieces are chips, average size is 1/2 inch. I was looking at them through my microscope and discovered this. The microscope is at 10x magnification, picture was taken with a Samsung phone at 3x magnification. 

IMG_0230.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

My first though is some part of a plant, looks like a cluster of thorns from a cactus but that probably doesn’t make sense.

• I Agree 1

3 hours ago, R0b said:

My first though is some part of a plant, looks like a cluster of thorns from a cactus but that probably doesn’t make sense.

The piece of amber is only 1/2 inch, so whatever this is, is very small. Can not see the inclusion with the naked eye. I was leaning on the side of flagellates ( is a cell or organism with 1 or more whip-like appendages called flagella, a single cell protist, eukaryotic organism is not an animal, plant or fungus). This is all I could find. Amber takes at least 40,000 years to form, so whatever this is, got caught in the resin of the tree long ago. 

Moved to FOSSIL ID;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I believe this is a "stellate hair", a common plant material inclusion diagnostic of baltic amber.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sternhaar_in_Baltischem_Bernstein.jpg

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Stellate-hairs-These-inclusions-are-believed-to-be-the-indicator-of-spring-and-early_fig6_235975156

Edited by Mochaccino
  • I found this Informative 5
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mochaccino said:

Thanks.