Perucetus colossus, Peruvian basilosaurid fossil, possibly larger than blue whale

JBkansas

Perucetus colossus, new whale fossil (39mya) from Peru, estimated to have weighed upto 340 tons.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/08/02/largest-animal-whale-p-colossus/

Article (paywalled): https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-06381-1

Ancient Whale Possibly Heaviest Species | Barron's

image.png.3297d98504e8cb74851214d9d1767031.png

Ancient whale from Peru may be most massive animal ever on Earth | Reuters

Whale fossil may be the heaviest animal ever | CNN

Paleontologist Mario Urbina poses for a photo next to the vertebrae of a newly found species named Perucetus colossus, or “the colossal whale from Peru”, during a presentation in Lima, Peru, Wednesday, Aug. 2, 2023. The bones were first discovered more than a decade ago by Urbina from the University of San Marcos’ Natural History Museum. An international team spent years digging them out from the side of a steep, rocky slope in the Ica desert, a region in Peru that was once underwater and is known for its rich marine fossils. (AP Photo/Martin Mejia)

Edited by JBkansas
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4
  • Thank You 1

• JBkansas changed the title to Perucetus colossus, Peruvian basilosaurid fossil, possibly larger than blue whale

Fair enough. 

I expect the gang will merge the topics. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The article is very interesting but it will be hard to prove it was heavier unless we can find some more complete skeletons. 

• I Agree 2

Topics merged.

• Thank You 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

13 hours ago, JBkansas said:

The article is very interesting but it will be hard to prove it was heavier unless we can find some more complete skeletons. 

From what I hear, this specimen (found in 2010) is facing straight into the hillside, and excavation is not complete - apparently it'll be several more years until they reach where they think the head is.  The size and density of the bones has made it a years long effort to recover what they have so far, and I guess they just went along with making a paper now because enough could be garnered from current recovered bone. Hopefully updates will continue.

These are the online murmurings I've heard, so take it with a pinch of salt. My school doesn't subscribe to nature so I can't get access to the paper to verify

Edited by Jared C
  • I found this Informative 2

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg