Looking for confirmation on HUGE potential petrified wood

Honeymayoon

Would someone be able to confirm or provide more information on whether or not this is petrified wood? Found near Canaan, NY. Lots of smaller pet wood on the land. 5 gal bucket for size reference. Sorry it’s dirty, hoping I won’t have to put in the work scrubbing until I find out if it truly is pet wood!

15E9E60E-D1E3-434F-A80A-108E8944FE13.jpeg

773B100F-E002-4117-83E5-CE5E927EC2F6.jpeg

2B8B3ED8-CECA-4F16-835A-7B30F9F7E21A.jpeg

778D73FE-E3E2-4F45-A60F-03B979BA7BD9.jpeg

5915611E-F048-4744-95B5-BB7CB169FCB7.jpeg

0F402745-FA58-4D65-84B7-B84EEF4EA076.jpeg

EB40348F-6795-4DC6-BE2C-200E1837138A.jpeg

1FC4B121-72EB-48AE-BD84-9D5F80C5F707.jpeg

D4DBD736-1942-4D62-A9B8-F6E9E7820C0D.jpeg

BA4519A7-155B-4F91-9B84-95EC61E6AA74.jpeg

AE2F0BC1-A694-4892-BBCB-1F5BEEE0FDA0.jpeg

82965C59-B67C-4A23-9429-CB2DFBD7E0FD.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Sorry. No petrified wood in New York, though casts of fossil trees have been found in and around the Catskills and in central and western New York. Fossils of marine shells are a possibility in your area. 

• I found this Informative 3

50 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Sorry. No petrified wood in New York, though casts of fossil trees have been found in and around the Catskills and in central and western New York. Fossils of marine shells are a possibility in your area. 

Disappointing but I’m glad I know now! Excuse my ignorance I’m just learning about this but is Gilboa Forest in Cairo, NY not considered petrified? My research led me to conflicting information. I understand there is a difference between petrified and fossilized but not sure what’s right here. Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Honeymayoon said:

Disappointing but I’m glad I know now! Excuse my ignorance I’m just learning about this but is Gilboa Forest in Cairo, NY not considered petrified? My research led me to conflicting information. I understand there is a difference between petrified and fossilized but not sure what’s right here. Thanks!

Yes. Fossil trees have been found in Cairo and Gilboa , but nowhere east of the Hudson. Those trees are casts. The original tree decayed and dissolved and sediment filled the hollow space and later hardened forming a cast of the tree. In case of petrified wood, the cells are gradually replaced with minerals which often preserves their cellular structure. Petrified wood is common out west, but good examples have been found in Pennsylvania and Connecticut. At the entrance to the Yale Peabody Museum in New Haven, there's an excellent petrified log from Connecticut on display.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

18 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Yes. Fossil trees have been found in Cairo and Gilboa , but nowhere east of the Hudson. Those trees are casts. The original tree decayed and dissolved and sediment filled the hollow space and later hardened forming a cast of the tree. In case of petrified wood, the cells are gradually replaced with minerals which often preserves their cellular structure. Petrified wood is common out west, but good examples have been found in Pennsylvania and Connecticut. At the entrance to the Yale Peabody Museum in New Haven, there's an excellent petrified log from Connecticut on display.

Thanks for the info! Do you think this be a cast? It looks so much like part of a tree. The pictures honestly don’t do it justice, should have waited until daylight and cleaned it up a bit.

No not a tree cast looks like a mixture of limestone and siltstone… I would take a closer look at it for fossils like crinoids . I see this same material around the cement mines near Rosendale . It appears like part of a submerged reef usually very hard material ,  look for fossils usually between the boundary’s of the silt stone “ light colored “ and “ darker material “ limestone. You may not always find them but look closer at the smaller material you found in the yard. Good luck Chris.

• Thank You 1

On 8/4/2023 at 6:31 PM, Stingray said:

No not a tree cast looks like a mixture of limestone and siltstone… I would take a closer look at it for fossils like crionoids . I see this same material around the cement mines near Rosendale . It appears like part of a submerged reef usually very hard material ,  look for fossils usually between the boundary’s of the silt stone “ light colored “ and “ darker material “ limestone. You may not always find them but look closer at the smaller material you found in the yard. Good luck Chris.

Thank you! Very helpful.