Horse Fossils - Load Warning

Fruitbat

Here are a few of the horse fossils I've managed to collect over the years.

Oligocene

gallery_330_105_127688.jpg

Mesohippus sp.cf. bairdi lower leg from Dawes Co., Nebraska (not a composite)

gallery_330_105_52269.jpg

Mesohippus sp.cf. bairdi upper right P2-P4 from Dawes Co., Nebraska showing occlusal (chewing) surface

gallery_330_105_41127.jpg

Mesohippus sp.cf. bairdi lower jaw fragment from Dawes Co., Nebraska showing occlusal surface of teeth

Miocene/Pliocene

gallery_330_132_30373.jpg

Upper molar of a horse from the Clarendonian (late Miocene) of Donley Co., Texas

gallery_330_132_117720.jpg

Lower jaw fragment of a horse from the Clarendonian (late Miocene) of Donley Co., Texas

gallery_330_132_126835.jpg

Lower jaw fragment of a horse from the Hemphillian (early Pliocene) Coffee Ranch locality, Hemphill Co., Texas

gallery_330_132_85201.jpg

Three associated horse upper premolars from the Hemphillian (early Pliocene) of Hemphill Co., Texas

Pleistocene

gallery_330_103_43385.jpg

Three isolated Equus sp. upper molars from the Trinity River terraces of Dallas Co., Texas

gallery_330_103_66471.jpg

Equus sp. lower left incisors from the Trinity River terraces of Dallas Co., Texas

gallery_330_103_19381.jpg

Equus sp. metapodial from the Trinity River terraces of Dallas Co., Texas

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Amazing fossils. The articulated lower leg is great. Thanks for posting.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Hey Joe

Very nice horse material. Your stuff is in great shape for its age too. The older stuff looks as nice as the younger stuff. I've taken similar Pleistocene horse material to yours, but different in coloration, sometimes with adhered matrix. My stuff varies in mineralization. Feel free to keep the images coming!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Pretty cool finds, Joe.

That Clarendonian (upper molar) sure has one long root.

Haven't seen many I will admit, but didn't realize the

length before.

The Trinity River sure parts with some really nice fossils.

Welcome to the forum!

SWEET! your lucky to have such productive hunting grounds! keep the pictures comin'!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

• 1 year later...
Here are a few of the horse fossils I've managed to collect over the years.

Miocene/Pliocene

gallery_330_132_30373.jpg

Upper molar of a horse from the Clarendonian (late Miocene) of Donley Co., Texas

gallery_330_132_117720.jpg

Lower jaw fragment of a horse from the Clarendonian (late Miocene) of Donley Co., Texas

gallery_330_132_126835.jpg

Lower jaw fragment of a horse from the Hemphillian (early Pliocene) Coffee Ranch locality, Hemphill Co., Texas

gallery_330_132_85201.jpg

Three associated horse upper premolars from the Hemphillian (early Pliocene) of Hemphill Co., Texas

-Joe

That's an interesting horse tooth - the Clarendonian one from Donley County. Which genus is that? It doesn't look like a Hipparion-type. Is that Pliohippus?

Is collecting still allowed at the Coffee Ranch site? I have seen horse and rhino teeth from there but that was years ago.

Ooh, wow, love these! :drool: Thanks for sharing!

"All the dinosaurs are real, based on fossil evidence. Whether the rest is real depends on you. It belongs in the marble hall, not that of the museum, but of your imagination, the other side of the mirror, the world that is in the end more true."-James Gurney, Preface to Dinotopia

the post is from a long time ago and the poster hasn't been seen lately, to my knowledge.

Thanks, Tracer. I saw elsewhere in the forum that someone asked about Fruitbat. In any case I will show the photos to a friend and he will likely have ID's which I will share here.