Some theropods teeth from Niger to be identified.

Nicopaleoadventures

Hi Guys, I recently got some photos from a friend of mine who bought these teeth from Niger.

When he bought them, the seller told him that there is at least one tooth of Kryptops, Eocarcharia and Afrovenator in this lot, but he wanted to be sure.

What do you think?

In my opinion the first is from Afrovenator, the second and third from Eocarcharia, and about the last I'm not so sure.

Thank you in advance.

IMG_20230824_234042_873.jpg

IMG_20230824_234046_110.jpg

Edited by Nicopaleoadventures
  • Enjoyed 1

You will most likely need locality where it was found and better pictures (ex: of serrations). Niger will not be enough for a positive ID in my opinion. Good guide to posting below.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 3

*Frank*

ID of these teeth is extremely difficult because getting a solid provenance is almost impossible.   Heck you dont even know what you are showing is Jurassic or Cretaceous.  Here is something you can use to help but just one photo is not adequate to ID this material. 

• I Agree 4

3 hours ago, Nicopaleoadventures said:

When he bought them, the seller told him that there is at least one tooth of Kryptops, Eocarcharia and Afrovenator in this lot, but he wanted to be sure.

There are no Kryptops or abelisaurids in this lot. As a basal abelisaurid, it should look similar to those found in cf. Rugops from the Kem Kem. There's also an odd elongated morph as well that is sold as Kryptops, but lacks hooked serrations diagnostic to that genus.

3 hours ago, Nicopaleoadventures said:

In my opinion the first is from Afrovenator, the second and third from Eocarcharia, and about the last I'm not so sure.

Nothing is explicitly Jurassic or Elrhaz. Would need to see any matrix left on the base. My guess is that it is all Jurassic.

Edited by Kikokuryu

7 hours ago, Kikokuryu said:

Nothing is explicitly Jurassic or Elrhaz. Would need to see any matrix left on the base. My guess is that it is all Jurassic.

Agree.  Seeing a photo of mesial carinae might help

• I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Runner64 said:

Agree.  Seeing a photo of mesial carinae might help

In regards to the mesial carinae, I'm almost certain there is an indeterminate basal carc or some theropod with teeth that do not have the mesial carinae extend to the base similar to Acrocanthosaurus or Neovenator. It also appears more common than Eocarcharia if we assume all tooth positions of eocarc have a more derived morphology like Carcharodontosaurus and the South American carcs where the mesial extends to base. Although, it's possible some positional Eocarcharia teeth look megalosaurid-like, but it's just speculation.

We see this type of morphology in the Kem Kem as well. Mabey it's not even carcharodontosaurid.

Preservation, matrix, and most importantly, provenance is the most important. The morphologies other than Kryptops, Suchomimus, Ouranosaurus/LurdusaurusNigersaurus, and the general Jurassic sauropod morphs overlap too much.

Edited by Kikokuryu

Grazie mille per il tuo tempo, darò un'occhiata a quello che mi hai mandato.

Comunque, il proprietario di questi denti ha scritto al negoziante, i denti provengono dalla formazione Elrazh.

Below others pics

IMG_20230901_141220_671.jpg

IMG_20230901_141223_022.jpg

IMG_20230901_141227_381.jpg

IMG_20230901_141229_975.jpg

IMG_20230901_141235_590.jpg

IMG_20230901_141238_940.jpg

IMG_20230901_141241_848.jpg

Edited by Nicopaleoadventures