Possible bryozoan from Jacksboro Texas

BobWill

This came from a bucket of material from Jacksboro Texas donated by @GaryTurner for the Dallas Paleontological Society fund-raising auction, so it's Late Pennsylvanian, Graham Formation. The surface resembles a bryozoan but I haven't seen one with this shape. Scale is millimeters.IMG_20230828_221238.thumb.jpg.5a8e68a9c5b89c19199f3929753434c4.jpgIMG_20230828_221340.thumb.jpg.6504fb45fa3a850f7b0d26a673ee7e9d.jpgIMG_20230828_221401.thumb.jpg.c69454cc4564ffdb7bb24c03d770af96.jpgIMG_20230828_221435.thumb.jpg.7722a002f9ee8078a18c6bd855e89e41.jpgIMG_20230828_221522.thumb.jpg.43d7c353445ffcec59e254070602fdc3.jpgIMG_20230829_053856.thumb.jpg.8d0561a1208ac6b0fe3dd3aac26cf0f7.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Could it be encrusting something with that general shape. If so what?

BTW, I really like your needle scale; very easy to place in photo.EDIT: I see that it is a regular ruler that is cut off. I like my new idea of creating a scale on a needle.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Interesting

Could it be an echinoderm ossicle, perhaps ophiuroid?

• I Agree 2

Context is critical.

9 minutes ago, Missourian said:

Interesting

Yeah, like that. 
@BobWill Are there any incrusting sponges that look like that on the surface? Detailed photos?

I am familiar with Incrustospongia meandrica.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/60707-encrusting-sponges/

D304FE7E-6868-45D2-823E-8433D01D4427.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 1

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, Missourian said:

Interesting

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Yeah, like that. 
@BobWill Are there any incrusting sponges that look like that on the surface? Detailed photos?

I am familiar with Incrustospongia meandrica.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/60707-encrusting-sponges/

I don't know of any Incrustospongia meandrica from the site but it's possible. I thought of a bryozoan encrusting a crinoid arm ossicle with a food grove but it didn't seem quite right. I thought someone might recognize the shape. The texture seems a little too open for echinoderm stereom structure. 

"I like my new idea of creating a scale on a needle." I missed seeing that. It sounds good. I'll look for the thread.

10 minutes ago, BobWill said:

The texture seems a little too open for echinoderm stereom structure

I think a bryozoan may have grown over a piece of echinoderm?

2 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I think it is a starfish terminal ossicle.

If so, the texture would not be an encrustation, but part of the ossicle, right?

A quick search turned up these:

joa12881-fig-0002-m.jpg

from here: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/joa.12881

Best Regards,

J

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

2 minutes ago, Mahnmut said:

If so, the texture would not be an encrustation, but part of the ossicle, right?

Right.

Here are a couple examples that I've picked out of the Castle Hayne Formation. These are surprisingly common.

terminallight.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Great little find! Yes, agreeing with all above, starfish ossicle. I find them frequently in Cretaceous micro matrix, but none with quite that surface texture, but most do have an interesting surface pattern. 

Ossicles.jpg.72d46b85b063069884b7753eb9c0c630.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Mystery solved! I had an idea that shape would get recognized by someone.

The fauna list for this formation at Jacksboro just keeps getting longer!

• Enjoyed 2

Is there a Texas institution that is interested in samples of every type of Jacksboro fossils?

Can you add photos of this to the database on the DPS website of Jacksboro/Pennsylvanian fossils? I see that Rodney Wise has a few photos.

4 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Is there a Texas institution that is interested in samples of every type of Jacksboro fossils?

Can you add photos of this to the database on the DPS website of Jacksboro/Pennsylvanian fossils? I see that Rodney Wise has a few photos.

Yeah, @rwise has a lot of them on his website too. https://www.txfossils.com/  (not a commercial site)

Our TX/Penn Study Group still has that as a goal but we haven't been active in quite a while. Maybe some day.

Edited by BobWill