If you had a chunk of cash to spend -- would you buy one impressive fossil, or lots of smaller ones?

FF7_Yuffie

I have come into some cash, and am unsure whether to use it to buy something impressive that I have always wanted---a few I have my eye on is a  triceratops horn, a partial raptor skeleton from china, a dinosaur foot and claw, a suchomimus claw, etc. Or, use it to instead buy a bunch of fossils which are cheaper, but missing from my collection---Allosaurus tooth, diplodocus tooth etc.

What would others do in the same boat--is the priority for others getting that one more expensive, but hugely impressive piece, or getting lots of more common but still cool ones. I would like an Allo tooth, Albertosaurus tooth, diplodocus tooth for my collection, but I have also wanted that bigger, more expensive and more prestigious fossil like a skeleton or a horn.

Would love to hear some thoughts.

Big impressive one…. You can always add the cheaper ones later but how often do you come into a large sum of money?…

I would buy as many different species of brachiopod that I don't have as possible. 

Probably that would be quite a few. :brachiopod::b_love1: 

• Enjoyed 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I might be the oddball out but I'd save it. Never know when an extra bucket of cash might come in handy and retirement is expensive assuming it's enough to provide a financial benefit towards that for you one day.

That aside, assuming the only option is to spend it, the other option is to be a bit more frugal if partials and resto isn't a big deal to you. Multiple birds one stone as they say.  I'd buy a partial horn, claw, etc.. and simply have a professional resto done which is alot less expensive than buying the whole piece.  The history of the fossil is still there, done well it will still show well as a show piece, and multiple items can get checked off the bucket list instead of just one and perhaps more in the future. I don't resell anything though so if resale if important some people don't like it.

Edited by FB003

*Frank*

I'd take option 3: funding a remote fossil trip of a lifetime where I can collect both fossils and memories. :hammer01:

• I Agree 13

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 minutes ago, Kane said:

I'd take option 3: funding a remote fossil trip of a lifetime where I can collect both fossils and memories. :hammer01:

Hmmm,

I never considered option 3. And I like it lol.

I may have to look into those Hell Creek fossil digs and the like, see if I can see any which sound good.

• Enjoyed 1

If I came into a large sum of money AND IF I were going to spend it and not save it, I would use it to finance a long trip to many sites that I want to visit. I would not buy fossils because it is much more fun to find them yourself.

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 2

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

16 minutes ago, sixgill pete said:

If I came into a large sum of money AND IF I were going to spend it and not save it, I would use it to finance a long trip to many sites that I want to visit. I would not buy fossils because it is much more fun to find them yourself.

I was just about to say this exact thing. This is the immediate thing I would do, too. Fossils are something you can appreciate a whole lot more when you find them as opposed to buying them. It is an individual organism whose story would have never been told had you not found their remains millions of years after the fact, making it your own special personal discovery. 

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Not buying any fossil and no long travel - that isn´t good any longer. I am also  generally not interested in fossils from abroad. They are so - out of context for me.

If I have to spent it immediately, I would just donate it. Otherwise I would save it.

Franz Bernhard

I would get the one(s) I like the most. Or save to get the one I like most. One you like the most might not be super expensive one.

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

3 hours ago, FB003 said:

I might be the oddball out but I'd save it. Never know when an extra bucket of cash might come in handy and retirement is expensive assuming it's enough to provide a financial benefit towards that for you one day.

I definitely get that point, and I was considering that. But, the way I see it, many fossils aren't going to lose value. They'll maybe even go up. Like dinosaur eggs, I've noticed they've gone up a lot lately. And fossils are cool---I can't see the interest in wanting them or buying them dropping, the way it is with some memorobilia/collectible (like Elvis memorabilia is dropping in value because younger people don't care about Elvis)  

They are things which are going to retain, or at least retain close to, what you originally paid anyway. So if I need cash in retirement, I am confident of selling and getting close to what I paid back for most of my fossils.

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, North said:

I would get the one(s) I like the most. Or save to get the one I like most. One you like the most might not be super expensive one.

Ah, see---that's tricky because I love them all lol.

I'd spend it on a ticket to where I could find my own.

• I Agree 2

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

13 hours ago, Kane said:

Option 3 is a great idea. It’s the one I’d choose if I could. unfortunately a lot of people like me can’t physically get out and collect anymore. Or if he might want a guaranteed specimen instead of spending all the money traveling and maybe or maybe not finding something that he’s interested in.

Edited by Randyw

I too would go with #3. Love finding my own trilobites but there are a few I'd have to buy as the spots are closed or dead.

As someone who collects fossils exclusively via purchase, I'd go for a big, impressive, RARE one, no question about it. One that you wouldn't ever need to replace or upgrade. Assuming you get a good one, the really special singular specimens will always hold their value (or often increase). You can always acquire the lesser fossils afterwards or even trade the singular fossil for them, but it would be hard to trade/sell a bunch of common stuff for something special.

Or go for a trip if you like, but that's a different experience. No guarantee you'll get a special or even decent fossil out of it, if that's what you're after.

Edited by Mochaccino

I would buy a piece of land with rich fossil deposits where I could go hunt for the rest of my life :D

• Enjoyed 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

5 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

I would buy a piece of land with rich fossil deposits where I could go hunt for the rest of my life :D

Wish it was that much haha.

It's my YouTube channel earnings--and I've set aside around 6-8 thousand gbp for a fossil (or some fossils). So, not enough for fossil hunting land unfortunately. Having something on Hell Creek would be a dream.

Fossil hunting trip would be a good idea, but you always run the risk of not finding anything that great in that scenario…

I’d say find one that’s really great & exactly what you’re looking for. I’ve bought lots of less expensive ones and if I could return them all for something crazy, I would do that. 

On 9/4/2023 at 10:38 AM, FF7_Yuffie said:

Wish it was that much haha.

It's my YouTube channel earnings--and I've set aside around 6-8 thousand gbp for a fossil (or some fossils). So, not enough for fossil hunting land unfortunately. Having something on Hell Creek would be a dream.

Still, it’s no small amount. Assuming it’s 8K, you could spend 2-3k on a trip, 2-3k on smaller fossils, and 2-3k on a larger specimen or two. Adjust amounts as needed. Seems like you could have a decent go at all three options. I know I could. :shrug:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)