Permian Update

dinodigger

Hey Gang,

I just wanted to post an update from the field. We've been out for a few days now; our June trip usually lasts a month. Its really hot. That sun is unforgiving. We've done pretty well for for the first few days. I exposed the rest of the gigantic humerus, which I've concluded is a whopper of a Dimetrodon. The distal end is just so massive; it really threw us off for a while. He's going to be an 800 pound animal easy. The other big find, and I emphasize big, is a record scapula, also Dimetrodon. This sucker measures 310 mm. I think the history books record a size of 297, so we might have this beat by close to twenty mm. We'll know after we get her out and do an official measurement. But it does look like the Humerus goes to the Scap. So this boy is coming together. This one is named after an actor with a comically large neck... due to the immense cervicals found not far away. Seriously though, this is a big beast. Imagine a ten foot reptile the size of a big tiger with some wicked fangs and claws... yikes. I've seen my fair share of extinct reptiles, and I must say, just looking at the size of this guys biceps even makes me tremble. Other news, going snake hunting tonight. Trying to beat our record of twelve different species in an hour. Its do-able out here. Back to extinct things... I did find another complete Diplocaulus today as well. This one is rather cute. Its an infant, and the cool thing about infant Diplocaulus', is that at that age, their signature boomerang horns have not yet developed. So it throws you off for a second, and it appears to be a Trimerorhachis. So cute. Want to cuddle. Ok maybe not. They attract 800 pound Dimetrodons and sharks. What else what else... the chop zone is expanding. This is a zone below the main Dimetrodon bone bed that if full of chopped up bone. This is interesting because it is a main feeding zone full of leftovers. Its like looking in your neighbors trash can to see what he eats. Tells a lot about them. This zone if full of very small creatures. Amphibians, microsaurs, small small small guys. A few small Dimetrodons, like juvenile size that seem to ###### of the parents to the point that instead of being grounded, they were eaten. Fun stuff...

More Tomorrow... stay tuned.

Chris Flis

Chris,

Thanks for the update!

Sounds like you may have a record breaking find! How cool!

Great report - Thanks again for sharing with us!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

...tuned I shall stay; thanks Chris!

Your stuff is so exciting to read that my staff is starting to avoid me now 'cause I have to read it all to them out loud...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

...tuned I shall stay; thanks Chris!

Your stuff is so exciting to read that my staff is starting to avoid me now 'cause I have to read it all to them out loud...

HA! I'll add more exclamation points next time... that'll get their attention.

All the best,

Chris

Interesting finds and strata, Chris. Is Dr. Bakker sketching any of the usual suspects? B)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Chris..... Great report.... More photos please ! :)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

How complete do you suppose that one Dimetrodon might be? Record humerus, giant scapula... If you can find more of him, you might just have a record-sized animal!