Is this a fossil fig? What are these?

FaithFig

Can someone please answer what each of these items are? if some are really petrified?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You ask for help, so make a little effort : the photos of things in the bag would be much better if they were in the open.

Where does it come from ? How big ? What training if you know it ? Hands are not a good indication of size. Please give dimensions in inches or even cm.

All these elements help to a good identification ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

# 5 looks like the imprint of a Strophemenid brachiopod.

Need multiple views of the others, and locations found, if known.

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Definitely a strophomenid. I think there is still shell material present. 

1 and 4 maybe crinoid calyxes but I can't see the details when I try to enlarge the photos. 

• I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Item #1 looks like the unfused femoral head of a juvenile mammal but without more information about where it was found I can't even begin to narrow down what animal it came from any further. As for whether its mineralized, or "petrified" as you ask, that's not really something that can be known from a photo. Try holding an open flame to part of it to see if it smells, if it's mineralized there should be no smell, but if there is still collagen present (suggesting that it's recent) it should smell a little like burning hair.

• I found this Informative 1

Hello and a warm welcome to TFF

I would be surprised if these are fossilized figs; but darn now I've got a craving for Fig Newtons that I have to go to the grocery store and fix.  :rolleyes: 

But before I rush off to the grocery, let me add this . . .

As you probably noticed from the comments above, there are a number of things that can help in identification of a possible fossil.  Where the fossil was found (general location), the age of the formation if known (if not, location can often help fill in that blank), clear photos of the fossil from multiple angles in good lighting (natural sunlight is the best), with a ruler, scale, etc. for size are all helpful, often essential in accurate fossil ID.  This, I'm sure will now become natural practice for you after this first attempt at an ID.  As you stay with the forum, you will see how vital this is in many cases.  We should be a lot more helpful in the ID of your collection when further info is provided.  I can't wait to get a better look at what is in the plastic baggie! :fingerscrossed:

And again, a warm welcome to the forum.