Oviraptor Egg

Crazyhen

I'm not an expert but I haven't seen a hollow oviraptor egg with such crystalisation before. They often have a grey or red matrix beneath the shell. Based on my experience most of the eggs on matrix are fake eggs. On this specimen the shell looks tgtbt, I mean you don't see any clear natural looking cracks of the shell. I also think this conspicuous round hole should suggerate where the oviraptor hatched..but it simply doesn't look natural.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

The outer side of the hole looks wider than the inner side... It cannot be the place where the animal was born (if this egg is true). But the minerals can be real, and not necessarily quartz in this area. The egg looks so well preserved :zzzzscratchchin:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Looks too good to be authentic.  The matrix does not appear real too consistent texture with the added grooves trying to simulated being prepped.  I've seen other dino eggs with crystals but none being this fine.   The opening is also questionable, again the ones I've see where either broken in a irregular fashion or had a very large opening.

Edited by TyBoy
  • I Agree 1

It seems unnatural in several aspects, including the even matrix base with a color I have not seen. My guess, it is a hollow, cast piece with "grown" crystals; like a 3rd grade science project.  

• I Agree 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

really not easy to decide. There are some known of this Ovi-type with crystals, but never had one on my own

Use an UV-Lamp to check if it not glued or mounted. Best way to check is, to cut it..., but when it was an original one.... :eyeroll:

• I found this Informative 2

In it's totality it looks as fake as a $3 bill, but from another perspective its purty cool as a piece of art.  But I myself quit buying eggs many  years ago because too many fakes out there and they've gotten too good at it. 

RB

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

There was also a pic with a narrower hole supposedly representing the "found" state of the egg. However the fill that was "removed" lacked the texture of real eggshell. I'd post the picture but the whole post was taken down.

Edited by JBkansas

11 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Take a look at this egg, see how beautiful is its internal crystalisation.  What is your view on its authenticity?

Egg close up.jpg

Egg.jpg

Check what the yellow rim is. Glue?

The matrix looks like it's man-made, I am not sure about the egg, yes, it looks too good to be real.  If it's man-made, the internal crystalisation looks pretty good.  I have some eggs with cyrstals inside, but not of this quality.  The half egg with purple crystal below is mine, it's genuine.

egg2.jpg

egg1.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

Very nice, like I indicated in my comments your eggs crystals are the typical of what I've seen,  "large".  Not that I'm an expert but have never seen those fine ones with a circular opening