Pliosaur tooth from France. Is this possible to Liopleurodon?

Nichet1122

Hello! Recently, I've got an pliosaur tooth and so excited to get this one because of the rarity.

Seller said it is Liopleurodon ferox. But unfortunately seller did not say about fossil's exact information(Formation). He just said it came from La ferme d Argence, Normandie.

Is this tooth possible to Liopleurodon ferox? Add some images.

Size 3.35 inch. It's definitely looks like genuine pliosaur tooth, but I'm not sure what species it is. 

20230907_184821.jpg

20230907_184852.jpg

20230907_184903.jpg

20230907_184914.jpg

Hi,

The Farm of Argence seems to be in Calvados, I have never heard of it...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's possible, although I'd say that the striae are too weak for L. ferox and would therefore rather call it L. pachydeirus. It's clear this is not a crocodile tooth, however, for the lack of carinae, and represents a thalassophonean pliosaurid rather than cryptoclidid plesiosaur. That having been said, the tooth seems very gracile for Liopleurodon or Simolestes (compare with the specimens on display at Paléospace l'Odyssée in Villers-sur-Mer below), so might actually be attributable to 'Pliosaurus' andrewsi instead.

1281570276_PalospacepliosaurteethVillers-sur-Mer.thumb.jpg.498fd63f3cbc0c35100c95c99d51ab59.jpg

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
  • I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett