Denver Mineral, Fossil, Gem & Mineral Show 2023

Top Trilo

It’s that time of year again, Denver Fossil Show time, still open ‘til the 17th. This being my 3rd time visiting, I felt I had a better idea of where all the dealers are, and what I wanted to see most. I go mostly to look at all the interesting fossils from all over the world, I saw dealers from every continent other than Antarctica. The show contains a lot of polished minerals and gems although it seemed like there was an ammonite at every table. The majority of the fossils available came from the United States and Morocco.

There were plenty of stunning dinosaur bones and trilobites, fish and ammonites but as always there were many, many, fakes, composites, and poor resto jobs and whatever the weird scorpion things in the first image are considered.IMG_2172.thumb.jpeg.2360ca1cdb299338d1fbc7ec1f1a817a.jpeg

IMG_2173.jpeg

IMG_2171.jpeg

IMG_2170.jpeg

IMG_2169.jpeg

IMG_2168.jpeg

IMG_2167.jpeg

IMG_2166.jpeg

IMG_2165.jpeg

IMG_2163.jpeg

IMG_2162.jpeg

IMG_2161.jpeg

IMG_2160.jpeg

IMG_2159.jpeg

IMG_2158.jpeg

IMG_2157.jpeg

IMG_2156.jpeg

IMG_2155.jpeg

IMG_2154.jpeg

IMG_2153.jpeg

IMG_2149.jpeg

IMG_2148.jpeg

IMG_2147.jpeg

IMG_2150.jpeg

IMG_2152.jpeg

IMG_2144.jpeg

IMG_2145.jpeg

IMG_2146.jpeg

IMG_2143.jpeg

• Enjoyed 9

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

And a few more.

I thought it was cool how the Amethyst Geode in the first image roughly resembled the shape of the African continent.

IMG_2135.thumb.jpeg.47aa3b3dc00256e2263fb252ced92e2a.jpeg

IMG_2142.jpeg

IMG_2140.jpeg

IMG_2139.jpeg

IMG_2138.jpeg

IMG_2137.jpeg

IMG_2134.jpeg

IMG_2131.jpeg

IMG_2130.jpeg

IMG_2129.jpeg

IMG_2126.jpeg

IMG_2125.jpeg

IMG_2123.jpeg

IMG_2124.jpeg

IMG_2119.jpeg

IMG_2117.jpeg

IMG_2118.jpeg

IMG_2116.jpeg

IMG_2115.jpeg

IMG_2114.jpeg

IMG_2113.jpeg

IMG_2111.jpeg

IMG_2110.jpeg

IMG_2109.jpeg

IMG_2108.jpeg

IMG_2107.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 6

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

And still there’s more I didn’t have room for.

IMG_2106.jpeg

IMG_2104.jpeg

IMG_2103.jpeg

IMG_2102.jpeg

IMG_2101.jpeg

IMG_2100.jpeg

IMG_2099.jpeg

IMG_2098.jpeg

IMG_2097.jpeg

IMG_2096.jpeg

IMG_2095.jpeg

IMG_2094.jpeg

IMG_2093.jpeg

IMG_2092.jpeg

IMG_2091.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 6

Thanks for sharing these. :)

I don't think I've ever seen so many fakes and frankenfossils! 

Some really nice pieces as well. 

Those dreadful scorpions in the first photo can be found in the medinas all over Morocco. Apparently, they are a top seller! 

Would love that geode shaped like Africa. 

Did you purchase anything, Alex? 

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hey Adam and Bobby, there are indeed many Frankenfossils which is the only thing I decided to purchase. I got this really cheap intermediate Otodus tooth, looks to me like O. auriculatus, from Morocco, I didn’t have one from this location and it’s pretty large, just over 3 inches, so I didn’t mind that the entire left side was composited. At least the right side has nice serrations, an intact cusp and perfect tip.

IMG_2210.thumb.jpeg.1f137fc72ea6ac03c86124a9032e5518.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4

1 minute ago, Top Trilo said:

Hey Adam and Bobby, there are indeed many Frankenfossils which is the only thing I decided to purchase. I got this really cheap intermediate Otodus tooth, looks to me like O. auriculatus, from Morocco, I didn’t have one from this location and it’s pretty large, just over 3 inches, so I didn’t mind that the entire left side was composited. At least the right side has nice serrations, an intact cusp and perfect tip.

Nice! :)

Nothing wrong with composites or restoration as long as you know about it. 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Stunning pictures...in a way I can't wrap my head around, yet. All those Mosasaurus jaws looked like they were baked in a backyard brick kiln.  And the boxes of "cookie cutter" perfect Trilobites, scorpions, starfish, whatever under the table - ready to sell. Whew! Lot to take in for a noob. Scary - came to mind. 

The Green River Formation fossils for most part looked the best to me. Some of the composites of fish inlaid over a palm leaf were a bit much. And I'm aware that some GRF fish, leaves, etc. get painted in. 

As was said as long as the buyer is aware of resto/repair work is done...then okay.  I appreciate the "baptism by fire" of seeing a photographic walkthrough of a gem and fossil show. I'm a bit gobsmacked, if that's the right word. 

49 minutes ago, SPrice said:

Stunning pictures...in a way I can't wrap my head around, yet. All those Mosasaurus jaws looked like they were baked in a backyard brick kiln.  And the boxes of "cookie cutter" perfect Trilobites, scorpions, starfish, whatever under the table - ready to sell. Whew! Lot to take in for a noob. Scary - came to mind. 

The Green River Formation fossils for most part looked the best to me. Some of the composites of fish inlaid over a palm leaf were a bit much. And I'm aware that some GRF fish, leaves, etc. get painted in. 

As was said as long as the buyer is aware of resto/repair work is done...then okay.  I appreciate the "baptism by fire" of seeing a photographic walkthrough of a gem and fossil show. I'm a bit gobsmacked, if that's the right word. 

There are quite a lot of fakes mixed in with the real ones and looking for one of those real ones can seem like you're fossil hunting. Unfortunately many people are unaware of what they are buying, some don't really care and will never look into what they purchased but others do care. However, there isn't much of a solution, having every fossil checked before the show is both unwanted and unrealistic as there are hundreds of vendors, thousands of square feet, and at least tens of thousands of fossils. Therefore its up to the buyers to try and authenticate items they're interested in. This makes the forum a priceless resource, for authenticating, IDing, learning about and just growing people's interest in fossils. Still, the fakes don't tarnish the beauty of the real fossils at the rest of the show.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Thanks for the walk-through. I never cease to be amazed at the amount of mass produced Moroccan constructions on the market. But I suppose as long as gullible customers keep on buying them, they'll keep on coming.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thanks, Top Trilo for the informative intel on Mineral, Gem and Fossil shows. I've yet to attend one, but now I have some tools in my belt when I do.