Howdy all.

Trying to make a list of floral and faunal species from the Black Creek group of North Carolina. Does anyone know of any species other than:

- Appalachiosaurus montgomeriensis

- Deinosuchus rugosus/schwimmeri

- Hypsibema crassicauda

- Lophorhoton atopus

- Coelosaurus antiquus

- Leptoceratopsidae indet.

- Dromaeosauridae indet.

- Brachyphyllum squammosum

- Moriconia cyclotoxon

- Geinitzia reichenbachii

- Androvettia carolinensis

Floral species would very much be helpful as I'm attempting to reconstruct the ecosystem that was present there, but anything would be very helpful.

Thanks, Anthony

I am not familiar with the Black Creek Group, but I may have once heard that Dryptosaurus remains have been found there - or at least the remains were assigned to that taxon. I believe that @fossil_lover_2277 might hunt in those layers and would be knowledgeable about the fossils that can be found there. 

Edited by Andúril Flame of the West
  • I found this Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 11:55 PM, Andúril Flame of the West said:

I am not familiar with the Black Creek Group, but I may have once heard that Dryptosaurus remains have been found there - or at least the remains were assigned to that taxon. I believe that @fossil_lover_2277 might hunt in those layers and would be knowledgeable about the fossils that can be found there. 

Sorry just saw this, wasn’t aware the site was back up and running again. The “Dryptosaurus” teeth found in the black creek group, it’s not certain that’s what they are. Should be listed as cf. Dryptosaurus. I believe John Horner actually published a paper that discusses it some. If I remember correctly, it said the “Dryptosaurus” remains actually more closely resembled something like an unidentified albertosaur, but it’s listed as cf. Dryptosaurus because that’s the most similar theropod that has been found amongst Campanian east coast fossils.

Edited by fossil_lover_2277
  • I found this Informative 2

14 hours ago, fossil_lover_2277 said:

Sorry just saw this, wasn’t aware the site was back up and running again. The “Dryptosaurus” teeth found in the black creek group, it’s not certain that’s what they are. Should be listed as cf. Dryptosaurus. I believe John Horner actually published a paper that discusses it some. If I remember correctly, it said the “Dryptosaurus” remains actually more closely resembled something like an unidentified albertosaur, but it’s listed as cf. Dryptosaurus because that’s the most similar theropod that has been found amongst Campanian east coast fossils.

Would cf. Dryptosaurus be considered a wastebasket taxon here on the east coast then? 

4 minutes ago, patelinho7 said:

Would cf. Dryptosaurus be considered a wastebasket taxon here on the east coast then? 

I'd suggest that the "albertosaur" teeth could be of Appalachiosaurus, as, from what I know, Appalachiosaurus is closely related to Albertosaurus libratus.

5 hours ago, Fullux said:

I'd suggest that the "albertosaur" teeth could be of Appalachiosaurus, as, from what I know, Appalachiosaurus is closely related to Albertosaurus libratus.

While that may be, I was under the impression that many of the “dryptosaurus” teeth from the east coast were miscellaneous theropod teeth material labeled as such because of cf. Dryptosaurus being an old taxon. I could be way off the mark on that, however.

• I Agree 1

On 10/16/2023 at 12:33 AM, patelinho7 said:

While that may be, I was under the impression that many of the “dryptosaurus” teeth from the east coast were miscellaneous theropod teeth material labeled as such because of cf. Dryptosaurus being an old taxon. I could be way off the mark on that, however.

On 10/15/2023 at 7:30 PM, Fullux said:

On 9/18/2023 at 6:53 AM, Al Dente said:

This paper has a large list of plants found in the Black Creek, specifically the Tar Heel Formation. - https://repository.lib.ncsu.edu/bitstream/handle/1840.16/3140/etd.pdf?sequence=1

On 9/17/2023 at 11:55 PM, Andúril Flame of the West said:

Here’s the paper by John Horner: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/John-Horner-2/publication/265078640_Cretaceous_dinosaurs_of_North_Carolina/links/61a4f6278c253c45f695ef3f/Cretaceous-dinosaurs-of-North-Carolina.pdf?origin=publication_detail

• I found this Informative 1