Ammonites, echinoids, and an oyster from Fort Worth formation

Shaun-DFW Fossils

Since we had a little rain for the first time in months in Tarrant and Johnson counties in Texas, I’ve been revisiting my usual spots to see what’s new. In this case, I went a bit deeper into unexplored areas of a local creek bed. I was not disappointed! I’m not an expert on identification, so some of you can help me learn, but mostly I found mortoniceras ammonites and a few nice sized macraster echinoids. I’m just now learning how to professionally clean them up thanks to a very kind friend named Mercer, so that’s the next step with this group of ammos. Probably my best *quality* haul since I started hunting late 2022. The single photo is the ammonite on the lower right of the zoomed out group photo, for size comparison. The top left specimen is a huge oyster. 

AA84E123-8220-42D1-B5AE-E1D86E054EDB.jpeg

057F4EE3-EB51-4C37-AD4C-A14E7FC58046.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 9

7 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Well done. Great haul! And welcome to the forum!

Thank you Ludwigia! I also play drums, my favorite kit is the Ludwig Maple Classic..your name reminded me  :)

5 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice lot of ammonites.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Thank you! I love the profile pic, very lively tortoise lol

• Enjoyed 1

6 minutes ago, Shaun-DFW Fossils said:

Thank you! I love the profile pic, very lively tortoise lol

It's a gif of my little girl and laboratory assistant, Tidgy.

Fossils3.thumb.jpg.3b8dc2e6b6b65053d7393823f5e45ecf.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Nice haul, Shaun! If you ever get down to the Elkhart area, the Trinity River banks are loaded with big boy Ammonites. I was there for Gar fishing so no Ammos for me then. 

Steve.. former Texan from Mineral Wells.

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, SPrice said:

Nice haul, Shaun! If you ever get down to the Elkhart area, the Trinity River banks are loaded with big boy Ammonites. I was there for Gar fishing so no Ammos for me then. 

Steve.. former Texan from Mineral Wells.

Thanks, that’s interesting! I’ve never thought to look that far east. I’ll keep that in mind!

5 hours ago, Shaun-DFW Fossils said:

Thank you Ludwigia! I also play drums, my favorite kit is the Ludwig Maple Classic..your name reminded me  :)

Isn't that nice. Ludwigs are a great kit. I used to play in bands until I got into acoustics. My guitar's name is Furch. A not quite so well-known guitarmaker from the Czeck republic, but it's so good that I chose it over Gibson and Martin, since, although it's a great stage guitar with good projection, it also has a very mellow sound.

• Enjoyed 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

10 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Isn't that nice. Ludwigs are a great kit. I used to play in bands until I got into acoustics. My guitar's name is Furch. A not quite so well-known guitarmaker from the Czeck republic, but it's so good that I chose it over Gibson and Martin, since, although it's a great stage guitar with good projection, it also has a very mellow sound.

Check out Godin if you can find a dealer near you.

• Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

11 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Check out Godin if you can find a dealer near you.

Yes, I've heard of them, being a Canadian myself, and they really are tip top.

• Enjoyed 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/