Hello from New Mexico

RodT

• New Members

Hello everyone, 
This is Rod from Santa Fe, NM and I've always been a science buff of all different flavors.   I do a fair amount of hiking and camping in the desert in a few different areas of the country that are somewhat know for yielding fossils - so I'm always on the lookout.  Great forum you have here!  Looking forward to learning more about spotting fossils when I'm out and about.  No doubt I've probably walked right by more than a few.
Cheers!

• Enjoyed 2

Welcome to the Forum.  I've been to Santa Fe and especially Taos several times; I really like that area.  I've collected Pennsylvanian fossils in the area, for example from the roadcuts east of Talpa along the highway.  I'm sure there are fossil localities all around the area.

Don

• New Members

Thanks everyone.  Appreciate the welcome.  
And cool to hear you have found some things in my area in NM Don.  Good encouragement!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • New Members

Hello from Rio Rancho, New Mexico, @RodT! 

I recently retired from the military, and I am currently a Geoscience student. I have one and a half classes to finish with my BS in Geoscience with a concentration in Geospatial Info Technology. I am a bit of a rockhound and a fossil nerd myself, and get out as frequently as I can... so that means that I don't get out as much as I would like! lol. Anyhow, I would urge you to check out the Ojito Wilderness. I will generally take U.S. Hwy 550 to get out there, though I am not sure of the best way for you to get there from Santa Fe. You can generally find a ton of Cretaceous Sea Shell Fossils (Brachiopods, Ammonites, etc)  and Shark Teeth from a variety of smaller species with sharp teeth, as well as the teeth from a shell-crushing shark, the Ptychodus Whipplei (the teeth are rounded and have roots). I hope the land of enchantment is good to you! Have a good one!

• I found this Informative 2

Hi,

You should have introduced yourself in your own subject and not in someone else’s !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Welcome to the Forum, both of you! :)

@RodT   @MSGSlatenB

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi @MSGSlatenB, and welcome to the Fossil Forum!  You are fortunate to live in one of the most fossiliferous areas in the US, and much of New Mexico is quite beautiful as well.  I have collected here and there over much of the state, and it's one of my favorite areas to visit. We would love to see photos of some of your finds.  Also we have a number of members from New Mexico, so you may be able to line up some collecting buddies if you want to do that. 

One word of caution BTW, it's fine to collect reasonable amounts of invertebrate and plant fossils from BLM and National Forest land, but vertebrates including shark teeth can get you in trouble.  Some states (such as Georgia and Florida) are OK with collecting shark teeth on state land (not sure about New Mexico), but not on federal land unless you have a permit, and to get that you have to be a qualified researcher based at a university or museum, and anything you find has to be deposited with an approved museum.  Just so you are aware!

Don

• New Members
On 11/29/2023 at 12:41 AM, Coco said:

Hi,

You should have introduced yourself in your own subject and not in someone else’s !

Coco

Hey Coco, thanks for the advice, but I don't like to draw too much attention to myself nowadays... So I don't mind taking a back seat to a fellow New Mexico Resident! haha 

• New Members
19 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Hi @MSGSlatenB, and welcome to the Fossil Forum!  You are fortunate to live in one of the most fossiliferous areas in the US, and much of New Mexico is quite beautiful as well.  I have collected here and there over much of the state, and it's one of my favorite areas to visit. We would love to see photos of some of your finds.  Also we have a number of members from New Mexico, so you may be able to line up some collecting buddies if you want to do that. 

One word of caution BTW, it's fine to collect reasonable amounts of invertebrate and plant fossils from BLM and National Forest land, but vertebrates including shark teeth can get you in trouble.  Some states (such as Georgia and Florida) are OK with collecting shark teeth on state land (not sure about New Mexico), but not on federal land unless you have a permit, and to get that you have to be a qualified researcher based at a university or museum, and anything you find has to be deposited with an approved museum.  Just so you are aware!

Don

Thanks for your insight and heads up @Don! I don't have a huge collection of fossils at this point, since most of my trips out involved an impatient 9-10-year-old getting tired of the dust and heat! Haha! I am just glad that she enjoys going out at this point... She and my wife really enjoys the abundance of gypsum and calcite crystals they can find along the road, and trying to outdo each other to see who can find the most complete and pristine fossils for the day.