Biodiversity, past and future

Mahnmut

Hello dear fellow forum members.

I just read the brilliant, though hardly fossil related, book "The Overstory" by Richard Powers, and it deeply moved me.

It put in words my fears and grieve for the biodiversity lost each day.

For me, collecting fossils, learning about them and about the extinct diversity there was has paradoxically always been kind of solace.

A biologist friend once asked me how collecting parts of dead animals could comfort me, and I had to think about it. Now I believe its a way to appreciate diversity without having to fear its loss. Learning about, say, whales always leaves me kind of melancholy. While learning about rudists is easy. One may regret to never see a live one, but it does not hurt.

It even seems as if the diversity was growing due to new discoveries. The number of species in my collection is growing, while each day we loose countless living species.

I wondered how you, who appreciate natures wonders as much as I do feel about the sixth mass extinction we are driving right now.

Best Regards,

J

• I found this Informative 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

@Mahnmut

Agree 1,000% with your thoughts and sentiment. 

I absolutely love nature. And can not fathom how destructive man is as a species. 

• I Agree 1

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

I feel the same way. It Is interesting, I think many collector regardless if they collect stamps, coins, dolls or fossils will get a sense of solace from there hobby but saying that there’s something special and grounding to hold in your hand what was once ancient life. One word comes to mind when thinking about fossils collecting and that’s  Wonder. 

I find it hard to watch natural history programs because most of the time I do end up feeling melancholic and upset. 

with my dyslexia I don’t think I could sadly read this book you mentioned.

cheers Bobby 

1 minute ago, Misha said:

@Bobby Rico

I don't know how you feel about audiobooks but there is a version available on YouTube, it goes by chapters, each is about 1 hr long

I never tried one and I did not realise YouTube did this , thank you I check it out. MrsR got me into podcast and I like them. Cheers Bobby 

• Enjoyed 1

I have to warn you, its not a feel good story.

• Thank You 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

The current state of decline in almost all biosystems is tragic. Not much consolation in the here and now but one thing. is for sure.  We might wipe out a great  number of species, including  our own, but the Earth will just shrug that off and go right on.  The Earth has been both much warmer and colder in the past.  Species go extinct and then something bounces back.  All on a scale of time beyond human comprehension.  Our species hasn't even been around for the average amount of time for the typical mamalion species.

• I Agree 2

It truly angers me how mankind destroys this beautiful planet and many of the amazing lifeforms that are currently living on it. It also makes me feel helpless and sad. I am a biologist and I myself have killed many animals in the past, mainly insects. All in the name of research. I would not be able to do that nowadays. I do not purposely kill animals anymore and I also do not want to be (indirectly) responsible for the death of living animals or the destruction of nature, even though I know I am to some extent. I also dislike to look at remains of current life forms, for example stuffed animals in natural history museums, as I much rather see these creatures when they are alive.

But I love collecting and holding fossils. It gives me a glimp into the amazing history of life on earth. What was and could have been. It provides me with wonder and also some solace. Even though we are a very destructive species, I am sure life will survive us and new and amazing life forms will arise long after we are gone. We are just a short chapter in the history of life, and not the most glorious one.

Edited by BirdsAreDinosaurs