Got Permit?

bear-dog

:) Since I have one in my wallet,I am wondering how many members here actually have a permit to hunt where they are required.The other club I belong to think it's optional.Got permit? :D

Bear-dog.

I have one for South Carolina and I'm impatiently waiting for one from another state.

I keep one so I don't run into any problems while I am collecting. The permits here in Florida are only $5 so it's a good idea to get one. B)B)B):)

post-23-070831800 1276189450_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

Worthy, Looks like someone does not want any collecting at that location??? Must be something REALLY good there....Where is it??

quote name='worthy 55' date='10 June 2010 - 02:04 PM' timestamp='1276189470' post='153409']

I keep one so I don't run into any problems while I am collecting. The permits here in Florida are only $5 so it's a good idea to get one. B)B)B):)

Edited by iamsharky

Miocene/Eocene

Don't need one in Texas YET. But when you do not sure what I will do I like to stay under the radar.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

I just got permision to hunt on WA state DNR land. A tough permision to get in our state! I can hunt fossils and minerals in the capital forest area and from what I gather from the office I have it to myself for now. They were impressed with my research and stick to it attitude towards the Dnr regulations and asking permision. It is illegal to take anything from Dnr lands let alone dig. I also have permision from two logging companies that manage lands in WA state, mostly from site supervisors. It helps imensly to respect the companies lands and clean up the trash yours or not and stay out of there way.

:D

Don't need one in Texas YET. But when you do not sure what I will do I like to stay under the radar.

Yeah! I never even heard of the permits till a few minutes ago and was wondering about Texas until I saw your post. We'll probably get on too, just to be safe.

“There are no easy answers' but there are simple answers. We must have the courage to do what we know is morally right.”

-Ronald Reagan

I have mine from South Carolina and they are checking for those of you that hunt in S.C. waters you might want to pick one up heres the link it's cheaper than loosing your finds and getting a fine http://www.cas.sc.edu/sciaa/mrd/sdamp_hdl_forms.html

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein

Dont need one in Tennessee except for state parks (you have to belong to a established institution to get a permit.)

I paid the $5 for a Florida permit because the Lee County Fossil Club strongly recommends it.

I always thought "What if I find that perfect Giant Beaver Incisor, Meg, Mastodon tooth and up rolls the fossil police asking for my permit" Was it worth $5 for piece of mind?

Different question: I have a permit issued May 09. However, UNLIKE my friends permit, my came without the date filled in!!! and I certainly have not added a date -- it was their job to do that...

These normally expire yearly!! Do I have an eternal permit!!! :P Maybe I can get the big bucks on eBay..

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I paid the $5 for a Florida permit because the Lee County Fossil Club strongly recommends it.

I always thought "What if I find that perfect Giant Beaver Incisor, Meg, Mastodon tooth and up rolls the fossil police asking for my permit" Was it worth $5 for piece of mind?

Different question: I have a permit issued May 09. However, UNLIKE my friends permit, my came without the date filled in!!! and I certainly have not added a date -- it was their job to do that...

These normally expire yearly!! Do I have an eternal permit!!! :P Maybe I can get the big bucks on eBay..

This link should answer your questions. B)B)B):)

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/vppermit.htm

It's my bone!!!

I live in S.C., and since I don't dive, I have not bothered with the hobby license. However, I just finished the mine safety course (commonly referred to as "mensha") which gives me otherwise almost impossible accesss to the limestone and other quarries near where I live. There are other collectors who take a chance and trespass in the quarries, but I find it much easier to just follow the rules and not have to watch over my shoulder while I collect.

Angus Stydens

www.earthrelics.com

I carry my $5 Florida permit. The money goes to a good cause, and what's $5 ? You can't even buy a pack of cigarettes here for that. (thank God I don't smoke anymore though)

• 1 year later...

If in FL or SC I highly recommend getting the permit. In SC it covers artifacts, in FL you do not want to get stopped and found to have artifacts. It can get pretty stupid trying to argue that a piece of agate coral has natural concoidal fractures. In FL you can loose your vehicle for artifacts so take it serious.

It is my lay-assumption that you don't need one on private property which also owns the mineral rights. ??? As to public lands (BLM/USFS/Colorado State), I'll wait until I find something worth having and then look into it.

I like bison and if it is not fossilized, and if it does not have any archaeological stuff associated with it, then I figure it's like a deer or elk shed and I can take it. If I found anything else, like a fossilized bison skull or a dinosaur or whatnot, or a non-fossilized skull with archaeological association, then I would take photos, lawyer-up and hold the location hostage in return for museum-quality replicas. If it was a big, deal, I might also demand naming rights.

I guess I'd probably buy a permit if I thought the money would go toward the resource. I buy hunting licenses for deer and elk whether I hunt or not. They are cheap and they fund a good thing.

Edited by BisonLatifrons

Got temporary one for Lake Ray Roberts in Texas from Corps of Engineers limited to a place with nothing but dirt and grass but the state ranger says it's a "wildlife protection area" subject to state laws prohibiting collection???

Standard requirment before I go hunting.

I usally get

- Permits (Corps of Engineer's and TX Parks)

- City Permission (State Permission depending site's Class Rating)

- Land Owner Permission (MANDATORY)

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

Here in Colorado, mineral rights don't have anything to do with fossils, luckily. At least from what I have read. The mineral rights to our property are owned by Burlington Northern. If we were to find fossils here, they could do nothing about it.

When I lived in Florida, I never got the Florida Permit because, back then, you only needed it if collecting more than a 5 gallon bucket of vertebrates in a year. Yeah, if I'd lucked into a Mammoth skull I'd have been out of luck but, eh, hunting rivers kind of takes away that possibility. I see from the link that now a permit is required for collecting of any vertebrates <shark teeth and plants are still a free for all> so I guess next time I make it to Florida I'll spend the $5 for safeties sake.

In a way I wish that there was a licence that we can get like how game hunters get their licences.

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

Can someone explain me what all a permit, permits? I should probably get one,,,

Can someone explain me what all a permit, permits? I should probably get one,,,

a permit allows you to both carry a concealed weapon, and to act as your own attorney up to and including during your post-conviction sentencing. Meg%20Dance.gif