Seeking advice on ecphora prep

dsaavedra

Today I spotted a bit of ecphora shell exposed in a sandy/clay stream bank. When I removed it from the bank I was shocked to find it was whole and HUGE! As far as I know it is pretty rare to find these in unbroken condition and this is the largest one I've ever come across.

I got it home and started cleaning it off. Most of the sand/clay washed away easily with gentle running water and a soft bristled brush, but the portion that was exposed to the air seems to have cemented itself to the shell and turned a whitish color, while the portion that was not exposed was dark brown and softer. I've picked away at the "cemented" stuff (sorry, I don't really know the correct terms to describe this) with dental picks and made some progress but I am worried I'll damage the shell doing this.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to finish cleaning this off without damaging the shell? Thanks. I've included a few photos and I'm happy to provide more detail if needed

20231001_152528.jpg

20231001_153524.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I would suggest using potassium hydroxide following these instructions.

Thanks, I figured an acidic solution would be no good as it would eat away at the shell. This stuff sounds pretty potent though - do you think it's suitable for a complete novice? I usually just collect shark teeth from the beach, this is my first time with a fossil that actually needs some preparation.

I'm also curious to hear the community's thoughts on preservation/consolidation of this fossil. It feels solid enough, it doesn't crumble when I handle it or brush it or even scrape it, but knowing how delicate ecphora fossils can be I can't help but feel like it will just shatter if I look at it wrong.

• Enjoyed 1

7 hours ago, dsaavedra said:

do you think it's suitable for a complete novice?

You'll never know until you try, will you? Otherwise you might find someone with experience to help you.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I'm not the best at photographing fossils but here's a view of the apertural side. The only damage is a few small chipped edges on the lower part of the aperture, and the tip is broken off. The fossil is 2.25" wide by 2.75" long, much larger than my previous best (most complete) specimen, also shown in the photo.

20231001_205145.jpg

• Thank You 1

On 10/1/2023 at 7:18 PM, dsaavedra said:

Thanks, I figured an acidic solution would be no good as it would eat away at the shell. This stuff sounds pretty potent though - do you think it's suitable for a complete novice? I usually just collect shark teeth from the beach, this is my first time with a fossil that actually needs some preparation.

I'm also curious to hear the community's thoughts on preservation/consolidation of this fossil. It feels solid enough, it doesn't crumble when I handle it or brush it or even scrape it, but knowing how delicate ecphora fossils can be I can't help but feel like it will just shatter if I look at it wrong.

Potassium hydroxide is a strong base. It will not damage the shell, but it will remove anything that is jammed into potential cracks. This would result in your specimen falling apart if there are any cracks being held together by cemented matrix. I would try to remove the moss and leave it as is personally. There's nothing you can do to keep a delicate fossil from breaking if it is stable already. Just treat it with appropriate care and don't handle it often.

6 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Potassium hydroxide is a strong base. It will not damage the shell, but it will remove anything that is jammed into potential cracks. This would result in your specimen falling apart if there are any cracks being held together by cemented matrix. I would try to remove the moss and leave it as is personally. There's nothing you can do to keep a delicate fossil from breaking if it is stable already. Just treat it with appropriate care and don't handle it often.

That's a good point, I hadn't considered that the cemented matrix may be holding parts of this fossil together. Thanks for the advice