Derby Museum and Gallery

Jesamine

Hi all. 

I was planning on a little fossil hunting trip at the weekend, but the heavens opened and, even being an outdoors person, the torrent was too heavy for an enjoyable afternoon.

Instead, we went into Derby city centre UK and found a Museum and Gallery. Not having planned ahead, we had no idea what kind of museum it was.

Turned out, it had a bit of everything in their own rooms and was quite small. It did have some interesting stuff and I learnt something I never knew, so a good day in the end. 

To our surprise, we discovered there had been Hippopotamuses living in Derby or where Derby now stands. I've posted some photos from the Fossil room. I love the fossilised nest. 

Jes.

20230930_153922.jpg

20230930_153935.jpg

20230930_153651.jpg

20230930_153725.jpg

20230930_154015.jpg

20230930_153757.jpg

20230930_153912.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

Nice I never been to this museum , yes it always amazes me to that U.K. was tropical. Elephants and hyena and lions oh my. That birds nest is it a fossil or has it been placed in a Petrifying Well like at Mother Shipton’s Cave ? The Victorians loved collecting petrified items for there curiosity cabinets. 

Thanks for sharing.

Bobby

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 1

Hi. The museum and gallery is quite small, but would be good for children, as it wasn't overwhelming or too repetitious for short attention spans. 

I'm not sure on the nest. There was no info. It was up high on the wall. I assumed it was a fossil, as it was in the fossil section of the room. Oh disappointing if it's not.

I visited Matlock Bath recently and there was a petrifying cave there with lots of old objects transformed or partially transformed.  It was very interesting and a bit creepy. 

Jes.

32 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Nice I never been to this museum , yes it always amazes me to that U.K. was tropical. Elephants and hyena and lions oh my. That birds nest is it a fossil or has it been placed in a Petrifying Well like at Mother Shipton’s Cave ? The Victorians loved collecting petrified items for there curiosity cabinets. 

Thanks for sharing.

Bobby

Oops Quote - Bobby -

Hi. The museum and gallery is quite small, but would be good for children, as it wasn't overwhelming or too repetitious for short attention spans. 

I'm not sure on the nest. There was no info. It was up high on the wall. I assumed it was a fossil, as it was in the fossil section of the room. Oh disappointing if it's not.

I visited Matlock Bath recently and there was a petrifying cave there with lots of old objects transformed or partially transformed.  It was very interesting and a bit creepy. 

Jes.

@Jesamine. Thanks. I’ll have to pop in some time and take a look.

I know what you mean about the rain. I was in castleton on Saturday visiting treak cliff and mam tor. It was pouring down and I was soaked through to the skin. Found some nice Blue John tho, so it was worth it.

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, Welsh Wizard said:

@Jesamine. Thanks. I’ll have to pop in some time and take a look.

I know what you mean about the rain. I was in castleton on Saturday visiting treak cliff and mam tor. It was pouring down and I was soaked through to the skin. Found some nice Blue John tho, so it was worth it.

Ooh, I've never been there. I will make a point of doing some research and having a trip before the winter sets in. 

Jes.