how long did it take you to find your first full trilobite?

Newbie_1971

On 10/6/2023 at 7:13 PM, Newbie_1971 said:

I can totally understand that. I  mean if I  were to hunt for shark teeth here, chances are I would never find one. But go elsewhere and find a bunch in an hour or two. I  am just asking because it seems that I can not find a somewhat whole/whole one. Finding what I  believe is a decent amount of partial/sheds.

Please don't make that assumption! I found a Mississippian sharks tooth in Indiana at a roadcut because someone else had just found one and I refused to get in the car and leave until I found one as well (it only delayed us 15 to 20 minutes!) and mine was much better....

11043_1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few years. I then found several at Swatara Gap, Pennsylvania, U.S.  Cryptolithus sp. Amazing locality!

I found only one other bug in my searches. I got lucky in the Cambrian Kinzer's Fm in York, Pennsylvania, US. It was an Olenellus thompsoni, both positive and negative sides. Split a lot of limy shale to find it though

• Enjoyed 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Let me add my 2 cents. I know ammos are not trilos, they don't molt and such. But we can evaluate sites based on fossils availability. For example there are locations where we see only belemnite parts, in others - complete belemnites and ammonite parts, in some - complete ammonites and bone chunks, so on. We can either torture a site which normally yields fossil bits to the point it spits out a complete specimen (which can happen anywhere) or move to a site where complete specimens are the norm. IMHO the 1st method is more applicable to rare taxons and formations when there are few alternatives, while with more available species it's better to use the 2nd

• I Agree 2

Wow, now that is too cool.  May I ask where about you were collecting since I live in Harrisonburg, VA.  PM me if you wish to respond.  Congratuations.

• Enjoyed 1

Wow, now that is too cool.  May I ask where about you were collecting since I live in Harrisonburg, VA.  PM me if you wish to respond.  Congratuations.

• Enjoyed 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Newbie_1971Fun question, but it really depends on where you are hunting for them.  I started fossil hunting in the Cincinnatian section of SW Ohio and found a beautiful complete trilobite in probably my first or second trip out.  Its still one of my favorites to this day (and that was close to 50 years ago).  But in all my hunting of that area in the succeeding years, I have found many complete ones, but none as nice as the first.  Luck certainly plays a part, but the area (and usually very specific stratigraphic intervals in that area) are a big part of it also.  As someone else mentioned, if you started out in the Wheeler shale at somewhere like U-Dig, it would take you about 5 minutes.  And, of course, at most places across the US, you'll never find them.  With most trilobites in locations, partials vastly outnumber whole ones.  Keep looking!  Persistence pays off, as has been mentioned.  If you are looking in SE Indiana, at least the odds are more in your favor.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

It took me 2 years to find my first complete Ameura trilobite. This was a big achievement for myself as Pennsylvanian bugs are pretty rare in my area. 

• Enjoyed 2

1 hour ago, ClearLake said:

@Newbie_1971Fun question, but it really depends on where you are hunting for them.  I started fossil hunting in the Cincinnatian section of SW Ohio and found a beautiful complete trilobite in probably my first or second trip out.  Its still one of my favorites to this day (and that was close to 50 years ago).  But in all my hunting of that area in the succeeding years, I have found many complete ones, but none as nice as the first.  Luck certainly plays a part, but the area (and usually very specific stratigraphic intervals in that area) are a big part of it also.  As someone else mentioned, if you started out in the Wheeler shale at somewhere like U-Dig, it would take you about 5 minutes.  And, of course, at most places across the US, you'll never find them.  With most trilobites in locations, partials vastly outnumber whole ones.  Keep looking!  Persistence pays off, as has been mentioned.  If you are looking in SE Indiana, at least the odds are more in your favor.

Are you still in southwest Ohio?

29 minutes ago, Newbie_1971 said:

Are you still in southwest Ohio?

Nope, I’m afraid those days ended quite some time ago. Now I just pass through the area occasionally during the summer. I fit in a stop every now and then to get my fix of Ordovician life!  :thumbsu:

• Enjoyed 1

52 minutes ago, ClearLake said:

Nope, I’m afraid those days ended quite some time ago. Now I just pass through the area occasionally during the summer. I fit in a stop every now and then to get my fix of Ordovician life!  :thumbsu:

That's cool. Shout at me on here if you ever want to go fossil hunting together in southwest  Ohio, southeast Indiana,  or northern Kentucky.

• I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2023 at 11:46 AM, Collector9658 said:

It took me 2 years to find my first complete Ameura trilobite. This was a big achievement for myself as Pennsylvanian bugs are pretty rare in my area. 

Nice!  I also hunt Pennsylvanian here in KC area, you've now given me hope.....

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne