Very strange fossil.. No ideas here

Jaybot

Like the title states… we are stumped. Found on the Kaw River as well. Thank you in advance, all suggestions appreciated!

IMG_3423.jpeg

IMG_3426.jpeg

IMG_3424.jpeg

IMG_3425.jpeg

IMG_3427.jpeg

Edited by Jaybot
Mistake
  • Enjoyed 2

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

Very interesting fossil.  Thanks for sharing

• I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

I will guess Drum mouth plate.

55 minutes ago, digit said:

Ding ding ding!

And a nice example of a drum pharyngeal plate:

https://www.google.com/search?q=drum+mouth+plate&tbm=isch

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you so much!  Makes sense looking at it now that I know what it is.  You guys are the best.  Have a great evening everyone 

• Enjoyed 1

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

I agree that it is a fish jaw with crushing teeth but I'm not certain it's a drum. Drum teeth are smooth and these have radial ridges. But I have no leads beyond that. Very interesting!

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Carl said:

I agree that it is a fish jaw with crushing teeth but I'm not certain it's a drum. Drum teeth are smooth and these have radial ridges.

Keep in mind that the radial striations you are seeing on the two teeth poking out are on the root side of the tooth not the occlusal surface.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1

On 10/12/2023 at 11:02 AM, digit said:

Keep in mind that the radial striations you are seeing on the two teeth poking out are on the root side of the tooth not the occlusal surface.

Cheers.

-Ken

That's a pretty good point. But they look enamelized to me, no? And drumfish tooth roots don't look like that either.

On 10/12/2023 at 8:09 AM, Carl said:

I agree that it is a fish jaw with crushing teeth but I'm not certain it's a drum. Drum teeth are smooth and these have radial ridges. But I have no leads beyond that. Very interesting!

I think freshly erupted teeth have these striations. Here are the tooth plates of the freshwater drum and I think I can make out the same ridges on a few of the teeth. Photo from here-https://collections-zoology.fieldmuseum.org/catalogue/701485

drum.JPG

drum2.JPG

Edited by Al Dente
  • I found this Informative 2