Are these real dinosaur eggs?

Chase97

Hi I found a seller claiming to sell real dinosaur eggs. They are on online auction site and the seller is in South Korea. I have read through the forum and was encouraged to post pictures here to help get an answer. I appreciate the help in advance.

IMG_2374.thumb.jpg

IMG_2375.png

IMG_2376.png

IMG_2377.png

IMG_2378.png

IMG_2379.png

IMG_2380.png

IMG_2381.png

IMG_2382.png

I'm not an expert, and I'd recommend hearing some other's perspectives, but they booth look fake to me. Theropods did not layer their eggs in threes as seen in the first specimen, and are never identical copies of one another as seen in the last photo in the first post. The fossil in the second post looks like its made out of resin.

Even if they are real, I would avoid them, as fossil dinosaur eggs almost always come from China or Mongolia and those countries have ban on fossil exports, which can sometimes result in legal action made against you, as well as the fossils themselves usually costing extortionate prices, when why I bought replicas of Keichousaurus and Psittacosaurus for my collection.

Find some for a reasonable price sold as replicas, if you really want dinosaur eggs in your collection. Regardless of how you feel about these restrictions, it is the safest way to 'own' Chinese and Mongolian specimens.

ITs difficult to say without better pictures, but so far I lean towards real.  The ones "in matrix" are likely partials, imbedded in a fake matrix to hide the missing side.  We really need good, clear, pictures to see the shell patterning, fracture joints, etc to make a better decision about "real" or not.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

4 hours ago, Psittacosaur9 said:

Theropods did not layer their eggs in threes as seen in the first specimen

They could have been taken from a larger nest, and only had the 3 together, no?  :headscratch:

4 hours ago, Psittacosaur9 said:

and are never identical copies of one another as seen in the last photo in the first post.

They do not look like identical copies, to me.  :zzzzscratchchin:

IMG_2382.png.868104a65622ab6266224ee0e4cb212e.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

19 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

They could have been taken from a larger nest, and only had the 3 together, no?  :headscratch:

You can clearly see how the eggs were paired in this image of specimen PFMM 001040301:

undefined

As you can see, while it is possible for there to be an odd number of eggs, it is rare, and the 'trio' egg cluster in the fossil Chase97 is looking to purchase (below) looks nothing like the original image, where it looked like one nest had been laid right on top of another. The reason for the pairing of eggs as seen is because theropods had pair oviducts, like modern birds, resulting in eggs being laid in pairs.

IMG_2375.png

20 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

They do not look like identical copies, to me.  :zzzzscratchchin:

IMG_2382.png.868104a65622ab6266224ee0e4cb212e.jpg

Yeah, I was wrong about that. I'm mostly suspicious, as I've seen fake Moroccan trilobites on slabs of rock almost exactly like that, with the matrix having a bizzare 'ribbing' from preparation. At any rate, they look more authentic than the first and final eggs.

• I found this Informative 2