Possible mammoth/mastodon bone fragment

NEFossils

Curious on the identification of this. Found in a gravel pile with other odd and end bone pieces with multiple mammoth teeth found at the same site. Just curious as to what it could possibly be as I’m thinking it is a possible fragment of bone from one!   

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

imageBigM.thumb.jpg.71a55ea12b96505fd01a122fce30f138.jpg

How about a better photo of that end ?

15cm is not all that big when dealing with Mammoth... It might be but it might also be horse or bison or whale......  It's a bone but there is not much of distinguishing features.... probably a rib... but if the circled end is concave, might be interesting...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

35 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

imageBigM.thumb.jpg.71a55ea12b96505fd01a122fce30f138.jpg

How about a better photo of that end ?

15cm is not all that big when dealing with Mammoth... It might be but it might also be horse or bison or whale......  It's a bone but there is not much of distinguishing features.... probably a rib... but if the circled end is concave, might be interesting...

I am not quite sure if it is concaved a bit or if it might have just been a piece that broke off. I was mostly curious due to the density of the bone.

image.jpg

image.jpg

23 hours ago, NEFossils said:

I am not quite sure if it is concaved a bit or if it might have just been a piece that broke off. I was mostly curious due to the density of the bone.

I have seen a lot of unidentifiable bone over the last 15 years... and the vast majority have been broken.  Take a look at these Dolphin rib bones..

ribs-690x320-16x9Bobby.thumb.jpg.1378a05d7d8e35ea730d5cec60c5c2bd.jpg

Easy to tell the end that is obviously broken versus the original shapes (at least in this photo) that are mostly unbroken. I think our best clues for Identification are size and shape of the unbroken ends. You can see a part of the proximal end of a dolphin bone is partly concave, That is a clue for those who wish to identify random broken bones.

The Texture of your bone seems more consistent with land mammal than marine mammal. I myself can not different lands mammals by the texture of their fossilized bones. 

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"