automech

Hello everyone. I was flipping channels last night between an old western and other channels when I came across this show on the public t.v. channel. (mpt.org) It caught my attention because they were talking about fossils. I wasn't aware of the title, yet. I wonder if anyone saw it also. If not, the show followed the discovery of "the largest Triceratops" ever found. Big John.  In the Badlands of S. Dakota.

They interviewed the gentleman who discovered and, extracted it. I'm sure a lot of you know who this is. Then, the show follows Big John's journey to Italy, after it was purchased from the discoverer, where it was prepped. It was there that they determined how big "Big John" really is.  Guinness Book of World Records was approached by the curator to classify it as the largest Triceratops. And, then the show follows the media firestorm created by Big John as it heads to an auction in France where it was sold for an unreal amount of money. Fortunately, it was purchased by an American and brought back here. The show reveals the purchaser at the end, and, where Big John is currently displayed. In a children's museum in Tampa.

I'm sure this could be a sore subject for the professional paleo people on this site. But, I'm just curious to know everyone's thoughts.  I feel, in a way, the story had a happy ending in that Big John is here and not in someone's living room on the other side of the world. I have other thoughts, but, will wait to see how this conversation develops. Thanks for reading.

• I found this Informative 2

I am still awaiting the documentary "Big Colin, The Largest Leptaena ever found." In the Wenlock Edge of Shropshire.

• Enjoyed 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Please remember to keep the conversation civil.   ;)

Too often, some of these topics go off the rails.  :unsure:

• I Agree 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Some previous postings about Big John:

This one has discussion about commercial trade in vertebrate fossils.  Possibly good to read through instead of rehashing old hot ground in this new thread.  If anyone decides to revive the discussion, remember to keep it civil as Tim said.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

On 10/19/2023 at 10:35 AM, FossilDAWG said:

Some previous postings about Big John:

This one has discussion about commercial trade in vertebrate fossils.  Possibly good to read through instead of rehashing old hot ground in this new thread.  If anyone decides to revive the discussion, remember to keep it civil as Tim said.

Don

@FossilDAWG I remember that post (thanks for reposting it). I offered an idea for legislation for fossil hunting (to prevent overhunting) in the U.S.. @Fossildude19 Is absolutely correct for how quickly this kinda stuff can go off the rails. I checked on the post an hour after I posted it and when I came back to check, somewhere like 20-35 comments showed up in my mail instantly. :blink:

But your right dude, the other two above mine are also great sources to check out more about this debate.:thumbsu: