Stones found in UK which are like heavy metal

Cyberafrica

Hi,I’m trying to find out what these stones are?I am from South Africa and visiting a friend in the UK.They have this type of stone in their garden which is mixed with shale in their walkway,they have a slight burgundy tinge to them.The big heavy rocks are used in their garden as a small rockery but they incredibly heavy and dense,and feel & look like heavy metal?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Moved to ROCKS AND MINERALS.  ;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

21 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Could very well be metal slag from a smelter plant.

The one with the cavity looks exactly like that.

one looks like slate and another looks like a good old solid rock!

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all. Your input is much appreciated.I visited the local B&Q hardware store here in UK and identified the Burgundy stones as frim Cumbrian decorative stone.

Will do further research to see if it is hematite.

And yes,it seems the large heavy items are metal slag.What metal,looking into it..

IMG_3914.jpeg

IMG_3913.jpeg

On 11/6/2023 at 7:14 AM, Cyberafrica said:

Thank you all. Your input is much appreciated.I visited the local B&Q hardware store here in UK and identified the Burgundy stones as frim Cumbrian decorative stone.

Will do further research to see if it is hematite.

And yes,it seems the large heavy items are metal slag.What metal,looking into it..

IMG_3914.jpeg

IMG_3913.jpeg

I would take a punt at iron ore. Thats what is used in steel making that and potash. Air is blasted through it in the blast furnace while its all bubbling away and a crust is formed making the slag on top. So any impurities are forced in to the slag so silica etc. Thats why no two slags are the same. No pun intended........

• I found this Informative 1