Cretaceous cerotopsian frill? & other strange fossils.

Backcountryhiker

• New Members

Hello all I need some help ID-ing some strange fossil fragments I have found in the central Alberta Red Deer river valley. The two large pieces were found upstream from Drumheller Alberta near the Red Deer river. The shape & texture looks like it could be frill fragments & the three small pieces were found on my friends property very close to Drumheller. The three small fragments once piece looks like a jaw fragment and the other two have me stumped? The bumpy spongy looking one with holes could maybe be a scute & the other looks like a tooth with a Ridge down the middle. Any help to ID is greatly appreciated!

Thanks 

Picsart_23-10-21_13-31-20-656.jpg

Picsart_23-10-21_13-30-42-019.jpg

Picsart_23-10-21_13-28-30-997.jpg

Picsart_23-10-21_13-29-20-511.jpg

Picsart_23-10-21_13-30-06-590.jpg

Picsart_23-10-21_13-27-45-171.jpg

Picsart_23-10-21_13-31-56-050.jpg

Picsart_23-10-21_13-32-29-117.jpg

Picsart_23-10-21_13-33-04-273.jpg

Picsart_23-10-21_13-34-29-621.jpg

Don't know about the large pieces, but the three small pieces look to be respectively a piece of an Ankylosaur osteoderm, a Hadrosaur or Triceratops jaw piece and a tooth fragment from either a Hadrosaur or a Triceratops. Probably Triceratops as it's rather large for a Hadrosaur. 

Edited by Daze

I believe the large pieces is not a part of frill. As far as I know, frill's have deep blood grooves, and in the images you posted, it looks relatively flat. Posting more pictures of that would be helpful for the identification. The small piece on the left is part of an ankylosaur osteoderm, the piece in the middle is a small chunk of hadrosaur jaw, and I not sure about the piece on the right. Could you post some more views of the fossil? Those are some really nice finds, the ankylosaur osteoderm is really cool. Those are still on our "bucket list" of things to find!

The middle fossil on the 7th picture down seems to be part of a jaw.

-Jay

''...science is eminently perfectible, and that each theory has constantly to give way to a fresh one.''

-Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne

I agree that the 'frill' is probably not.  Frill tends to be uniform thickness whereas this one varies.  And the orange piece (the last one) is not a tooth, but it owuld be nice to see the other side and a cross section view.