Fellow members,

I am considering purchasing this tooth which is advertised as being a T. rex tooth from the HCF of Carter Co., MT. The seller isn’t able to provide the nearest town. 

The enamel isn’t perfect but I am guessing that much of the value  will be in the length. I am told that there is no repair nor restoration - can anyone see any evidence that might suggest otherwise?

The description also states that there is some partial root present.

From research, it seems to be an average specimen as is typically found. Or perhaps somewhat above average given that most teeth found are in a worse state. 

Might members agree that this is a nice 2” T. rex tooth (albeit with some enamel missing) at this price point. 

There are better out there but those perfect examples will be well north of much more, one suspects. 

Thankyou in advance.

IMG_5424.jpeg

IMG_5410.jpeg

IMG_5413.jpeg

IMG_5412.jpeg

IMG_5411.jpeg

IMG_5409.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

I would say its a very nice tooth!  I don't see any obvious signs of restoration or repair in the photos.  It has some cracks, but dont look like they go all the way through, so probably not a broken and re-assembled piece.  I can't tell is there is the start of root on bottom-most piece.  Often that is more noticeable as a shift in color or texture, but those might not be coming through in the pics.  It looks like the serration are going to the base or almost to the base which would preclude "root" being present. It is worn and tumbled with tip damage (look pre-depositional) but overall a very nice tooth.

• Thank You 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

may I complain (nothing against this particular tooth)... how and why would anyone measure something like this to the nearest thousanth of an inch?  Just pain silly 

But this is a pretty good tooth for someone who does not want to pay the ridiculous price they perfect ones are getting.  

4 hours ago, jpc said:

may I complain (nothing against this particular tooth)... how and why would anyone measure something like this to the nearest thousanth of an inch?  Just pain silly 

But this is a pretty good tooth for someone who does not want to pay the ridiculous price they perfect ones are getting.  

Because that's what my digital caliper goes to and I list with the measurements my instruments give me.

Edited by jikohr
  • Thank You 1

On 10/23/2023 at 2:18 AM, jikohr said:

Because that's what my digital caliper goes to and I list with the measurements my instruments give me.

Thankyou :JC_doubleup: :dinothumb:

Personally I have no issue with the level of measurement provided and I do not consider at all “plain silly” in the least. 
To me - it’s just being super accurate and detailed. 

I respectfully disagree.  If the measurement was to be taken from a spot just a hair's width away from where it was taken to get this number, the measurement would be slightly different.  so is it 2.038 or is it 2.047 or 2.021 or...? from a slightly different spot?  Doesn't matter because those last two digits are useless, which is worse than just plain silly.  2.0 is a much better measurement.  Did you see the post elsewhere where someone measured a multi-inch fossil to the nearest ten thousandth of an inch.  I rolled my eyes even more...    

• I Agree 1

8 minutes ago, jpc said:

I respectfully disagree.  If the measurement was to be taken from a spot just a hair's width away from where it was taken to get this number, the measurement would be slightly different.  so is it 2.038 or is it 2.047 or 2.021 or...? from a slightly different spot?  Doesn't matter because those last two digits are useless, which is worse than just plain silly.  2.0 is a much better measurement.  Did you see the post elsewhere where someone measured a multi-inch fossil to the nearest ten thousandth of an inch.  I rolled my eyes even more...    

I see your POV but each to their own. I respectfully disagree with you so we’ll just have to agree to disagree. 
I also collect meteorites whereby the weight of a small fragment is often expressed to the nearest 100th or 1000th of a gram so I guess I’m just used to those kind of measurements. 

29 minutes ago, Randyw said:

LOL! No matter how you measure it it's a nice tooth! Which is what the o.p was asking about.....

I agree.