Ceratonurus - any repair and / or restoration?

Fellow members,

I have been offered this Ceratonurus. At first glance it appears to be well prepped etc. with no signs of obvious fractures etc. 

As one should be on guard when purchasing Moroccan material, I would like to seek counsel / opinions / another pair of eyes regarding this specimen which I have been offered. 

Can anyone see any signs of repair and / or restoration?

Thankyou in advance, much appreciated. 

IMG_5441.jpeg

IMG_5456.jpeg

IMG_5440.jpeg

IMG_5439.jpeg

IMG_5438.jpeg

IMG_5437.jpeg

IMG_5436.jpeg

IMG_5435.jpeg

IMG_5434.jpeg

IMG_5433.jpeg

IMG_5432.jpeg

IMG_5431.jpeg

Looks good without decent close-ups.

They take a lot of prepping but aren't usually faked well.

It is likely that the spines were broken off and prepped separately and then reattached, possibly some have been patched or fabricated.

Can't tell, but looks wonderful to me.

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Looks good without decent close-ups.

They take a lot of prepping but aren't usually faked well.

It is likely that the spines were broken off and prepped separately and then reattached, possibly some have been patched or fabricated.

Can't tell, but looks wonderful to me.

Thankyou - so looks good even though some spines have probably been fabricated / patched?

14 minutes ago, GTS said:

Thankyou - so looks good even though some spines have probably been fabricated / patched?

That's my experience and opinion, but I am far from always correct.

Let's see what others have to say.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Images are too low resolution to discern accurately. When it comes to these spiny trilobites, in hand inspection is strongly recommended. 

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Can't speak much to restoration but the longer spines have certainly been broken and repaired in several places. Hard to see precise cracks but the angles change abruptly. I would be more surprised if the spines were completely unrepaired on such a "flying prep"; if they were, they would certainly break anyways sometime down the line. A big reason why I'm really not a fan of these sort of preps.

• Enjoyed 1