Post Oak Creek North Texas Turtle scute or part of vertebrate?

aggie1997

Hard to say with this smaller piece, at least it's a "chunkosaur." In turtle shell I usually look for sutures, roughly uniform thickness with flat external surfaces, and a spongey interior, but with a small piece I can't tell if this is a portion of shell or a flat portion of a larger bone.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Turtle scutes aren't like thick bone, its a thin shell covering.  The outer bony plates of the shell are either part of the plastron (bottom) or carapace (top).  This does look like a bit of turtle shell, but such a small bit cant really be placed.  Lastly, the turtle vertebrae are fused into its carapace.

• I found this Informative 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

9 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

Turtle scutes aren't like thick bone, its a thin shell covering.  The outer bony plates of the shell are either part of the plastron (bottom) or carapace (top).  This does look like a bit of turtle shell, but such a small bit cant really be placed.  Lastly, the turtle vertebrae are fused into its carapace.

Actually...:blink:

The turtles from the time can get quite large with thick shells, I haven't personally found definite turtle from POC, but in the WIS there were some big guys. From the nearby and slightly younger NSR:

image.thumb.png.38aa816cedfa02565fe6abe082694db9.png

^ @JarrodB

Also, not all vertebrae are fused, namely the cervicals and caudals.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Well, yes, obvious the neck and tail vertebrae are not fused to the carapace.  

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

15 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

Lastly, the turtle vertebrae are fused into its carapace.

4 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

Well, yes, obvious the neck and tail vertebrae are not fused to the carapace.  

My apologies, I hastily responded after interpreting your prior comment as an absolute statement.