Possible Axe- Native American Artifacts

JJVG

I found this walking in Vermilion County, Illinois a few years ago. This was in a corn field by my house. It appears to have been used for something and I thought it was unique so I took it home. I’ve been keeping it up by my house for a few years now and decided I’d like to try and identify it possibly. I’ve been looking online and to me it looks like an Native American flaked axe or possibly something else used by them. The indentations on it are very unique. 

Open to suggestions please. Thanks!

IMG_8451.thumb.jpeg.9e3e2e618f33325ff1ecaee68a1973b1.jpeg

IMG_8453.jpeg

I’m sorry. I’m not seeing anything showing this has been worked. I’m seeing some naturally occurring flaking and fracturing but I do not believe it to be a Native American artifact. There’s no attachment groove, no definitive worked shap or anything like that…

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

I agree with @Randyw.  From these images, I'm seeing a piece of local rock that has been smacked around over the years by farming equipment.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

How odd!  I don't recall any deposits of limestone or chert exposed in Vermilion County.  This would have to be a glacial erratic, yet I see no rounding wear from transport on the edge fractures.  I don't see obvious plow strikes.  Still, the conchoidal fractures don't seem to be a sharpening effort.  For an artifact, those features only allow for a "core" from which small blades were taken.   . . . Or, maybe it's just an unusual cobble.  :Confused05:

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest