Madison county Illinois

slayer0666

Where is the best place to look for fossils in Madison county Illinois? (Mainly Alton or Godfrey but anywhere near is fine)

Lately, I have noticed a trend among, some, newbies of the lack of etiquette. It's really getting tiresome.

On 11/3/2023 at 9:34 AM, automech said:

Lately, I have noticed a trend among, some, newbies of the lack of etiquette. It's really getting tiresome.

While it can be frustrating, I think the best thing we can continue to do is encourage others to first put some time and research (Google can be your best friend) into the matter and study up on their local area, geology, and types of fossils available. Sometimes, it is hard for a beginner to know where to start. I do think asking or disclosing collecting spots online on a public forum isn't the best practice though.

Reading old papers and geologic maps can be intimidating at first, but it is now one of my favorite things to do before ever going out to collect.

• I found this Informative 2

Yes. I can agree with all of that. But, and I'll give the O.P. the benefit of the doubt, here it is going on a week and nary a response. Or, a thank you. :headscratch: