Help me ID these photos from the kem kem beds

Kcmojpj

• New Members

Hi all! I Recently purchased three fossils the store selling them had no idea what they were beyond them being from the kem kem beds. I posted them on Reddit and someone said the vertebrae may be from a spinosauras. Any help is appreciated thank you! 

IMG_1925.jpeg

IMG_1932.jpeg

IMG_1924.jpeg

IMG_1929.jpeg

IMG_1914.jpeg

IMG_1916.jpeg

IMG_1918.jpeg

IMG_1919.jpeg

IMG_1917.jpeg

IMG_1915.jpeg

IMG_1920.jpeg

IMG_1923.jpeg

Hi, welcome to the fossil forum!

The first piece does look like a small caudal vertebra (tail bone) from a Spinosaurid. The reason I said Spinosaurid and not Spinosaurus is that there seems to have been one or more other Spinosaurids that lived alongside Spinosaurus and differentiating isolated bones between them down to a genus is next to impossible. So around here we labels those as "Spinosaurid indet." (Spinosaurid indeterminate). 

The second one shown (pictures 5,6,7,9 and 10) appears to be a piece of turtle shell.

Not sure about the other one. Some pictures from different angles and measurements (length, width, thickness) would help with the ID!

• New Members

Thank you so much for your help! I have some more pictures of the third piece let me know what you think 

IMG_1966.jpeg

IMG_1967.jpeg

IMG_1968.jpeg

IMG_1969.jpeg

IMG_1971.jpeg

IMG_1970.jpeg

1 hour ago, Kcmojpj said:

Thank you so much for your help! I have some more pictures of the third piece let me know what you think 

IMG_1966.jpeg

IMG_1967.jpeg

IMG_1968.jpeg

IMG_1969.jpeg

IMG_1971.jpeg

IMG_1970.jpeg

Well..... it's a piece of something. This sort of thing happens all the time with Kem Kem material, you get all sorts of weird looking bits and pieces out there that could be from any of the king size critters that lived there. The lack of study on all the different species doesn't help either. Sadly I can't say anything on this one other than a piece of bone.

It's what we call a "chunkosaurus". And that's not to say it's dinosaur although it might be. Could also be croc. There were some big crocs there. Maybe someone else will recognize something about it that might narrow it down further.

On 11/6/2023 at 12:12 AM, jikohr said:

Well..... it's a piece of something. This sort of thing happens all the time with Kem Kem material, you get all sorts of weird looking bits and pieces out there that could be from any of the king size critters that lived there. The lack of study on all the different species doesn't help either. Sadly I can't say anything on this one other than a piece of bone.

It's what we call a "chunkosaurus". And that's not to say it's dinosaur although it might be. Could also be croc. There were some big crocs there. Maybe someone else will recognize something about it that might narrow it down further.

I agree it is a fragment of a large arm / leg bone.

still a nice piece!

Shooting-The-Rapids-Native-Americans-Canoeing-Framed-wood-Engraving-for-sale.jpg.4d80e899bc6d482607ea278310a3d471.jpg