Butvar question

erikajoan212

Hi everyone, would Butvar B-76 be good to help seal and stabalize a leaf fossil in shale? Would I just put it on the surface or submerge the whole piece in the solution? I'd like to keep the fossil looking as natural as possible, not glossy at all. Thanks!

Hi Erika,

I preserve most of my fossils, especially conodonts with diluted Butvar. You can dilute the Butvar with acetone to whatever concentration you want. For the very delicate conodonts, I dilute to levels of 10/20/30 or even 50:1 acetone to Butvar. When applied (with a dropper) it is like water- the acetone soaks through leaving a very fine layer of Butvar that holds the fragmented pieces without it being shiny. If it is too shiny you can us acetone to dissolve the Butvar. I have bison bones I used a higher concentration to not only seal the fissures, but I kinda like the shiny look on them!-its all personal preference. I was at Florissant this summer and found pine cones, leaves, insects, etc. when did you go?

Bone

1 hour ago, Bonehunter said:

Hi Erika,

I preserve most of my fossils, especially conodonts with diluted Butvar. You can dilute the Butvar with acetone to whatever concentration you want. For the very delicate conodonts, I dilute to levels of 10/20/30 or even 50:1 acetone to Butvar. When applied (with a dropper) it is like water- the acetone soaks through leaving a very fine layer of Butvar that holds the fragmented pieces without it being shiny. If it is too shiny you can us acetone to dissolve the Butvar. I have bison bones I used a higher concentration to not only seal the fissures, but I kinda like the shiny look on them!-its all personal preference. I was at Florissant this summer and found pine cones, leaves, insects, etc. when did you go?

Bone

Thanks so much, that's super helpful and reassuring. I went this summer as well, late June I think. I also went last summer (2022) for the first time. I seemed to only find leaves and some very small insects. Nothing too spectacular, but still a great experience!

I was there in July with my brother- just missed ya! :) . I agree- didn/t feel rushed, the owners were very accommodating -didn't know at first we could have just dug in the quarry instead of picking through what they brought. May go again next summer! Still prepping and sifting through everything. Good luck! 

Bone

• Enjoyed 1

On 10/29/2023 at 6:06 PM, erikajoan212 said:

Hi everyone, would Butvar B-76 be good to help seal and stabalize a leaf fossil in shale? Would I just put it on the surface or submerge the whole piece in the solution? I'd like to keep the fossil looking as natural as possible, not glossy at all. Thanks!

I'm not sure which numbers are best, but Butvar/Paraloid/Acryloid generally are the best things to use. However, my advice is to think carefully about whether your fossils really need a coating of anything. I've said it before but I don't mind repeating. I've got a number of leaf/insect fossils similar to what you find at Florissant and I don't coat them with anything. Of course, mine are kept in drawers and not handed around in school classrooms for kids to manhandle, so I guess it depends on your plans. If a piece breaks off or a layer delaminates, that's different, but it usually entails a dab of glue on the surface to be joined or injecting it into cracks along the edges, not coating the visible fossil surface itself. If you still want to apply something because it looks like it's going to fall apart if you so much as breathe on it, start with a very thin solution as Bonehunter suggests, dripped on with an eyedropper, and let us know how you make out.

• I Agree 1

On 10/30/2023 at 10:15 PM, Wrangellian said:

I'm not sure which numbers are best, but Butvar/Paraloid/Acryloid generally are the best things to use. However, my advice is to think carefully about whether your fossils really need a coating of anything. I've said it before but I don't mind repeating. I've got a number of leaf/insect fossils similar to what you find at Florissant and I don't coat them with anything. Of course, mine are kept in drawers and not handed around in school classrooms for kids to manhandle, so I guess it depends on your plans. If a piece breaks off or a layer delaminates, that's different, but it usually entails a dab of glue on the surface to be joined or injecting it into cracks along the edges, not coating the visible fossil surface itself. If you still want to apply something because it looks like it's going to fall apart if you so much as breathe on it, start with a very thin solution as Bonehunter suggests, dripped on with an eyedropper, and let us know how you make out.

Thank you! I’m trying to make a piece of jewelry out of a leaf fossil I got from Florissant so I want to try and make it as sturdy as I can while maintaining its natural look before turning it into a pendant. Maybe it’s a terrible idea but I’d like to try. I ordered Butvar from the UK but not sure if it will get here in time for when I was hoping to have this done by. I’ll report back for sure. 

I can check but pretty sure I have some diluted i can send you  don't need to order from the UK.........

Bone

Oh that’s ok thank you! If it doesn’t come in time I’ll just use some modge podge I have on hand. 

2 hours ago, erikajoan212 said:

Thank you! I’m trying to make a piece of jewelry out of a leaf fossil I got from Florissant so I want to try and make it as sturdy as I can while maintaining its natural look before turning it into a pendant. Maybe it’s a terrible idea but I’d like to try. I ordered Butvar from the UK but not sure if it will get here in time for when I was hoping to have this done by. I’ll report back for sure. 

OK. In that case go ahead. I'm speaking more as a specimen collector.

Ok I got my Butvar! I have 100% acetone nail polish remover but on the back it also says it has ‘Denatonium Benzoate’. Is this ok to use? I live in the boonies and would rather not have to take an hour+ trip to the hardware store If I don’t have to…

never heard of it but it looks like it is added to nail polish remover to prevent people from drinking the stuff.  Wow...they have to add a nasty taste to prevent people form drinking acetone!!!!   (Insert comment about the the stupidity of the masses).    

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatonium

This is why I like to use pure acetone rather than nail polish remover.  It looks like from the link that there is very little in there and it should be fine for your use... and it will prevent kids from eating your jewelry.    

24 minutes ago, jpc said:

never heard of it but it looks like it is added to nail polish remover to prevent people from drinking the stuff.  Wow...they have to add a nasty taste to prevent people form drinking acetone!!!!   (Insert comment about the the stupidity of the masses).    

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatonium

This is why I like to use pure acetone rather than nail polish remover.  It looks like from the link that there is very little in there and it should be fie for your use... and it will prevent kids from eating your jewelry.    

Haha sigh. Ok awesome thank you for the reassurance. Saves me time and gas!

On 11/2/2023 at 10:34 PM, erikajoan212 said:

Maybe it’s a terrible idea but I’d like to try.

Try it first with a piece of non-fossil shale from that site and see, if the material can withstand the mounting process and wearing(?) as a pendant!

Unless you have plenty of fossils to play with :).

Franz Bernhard