Shaun-DFW Fossils

I was thrilled to find 9 woodbine ammonites today in eastern Tarrant county, TX, but what made it even better is that more than half were found at a locale that I found on my own. I found 2 very small ones some months ago, but it took this latest heavy rain and flooding to wash the rest out onto a large gravel area where I found them. One looks like it came out of a concretion. My only sadness is knowing that I can’t go back every week and find the same haul! All were either underwater or laying in the open except for one that was partially exposed in loose gravel. 

08F391AF-95EE-4D01-B27A-945606961AE4.jpeg

EFD91B3C-5457-48C2-93C5-E8651BA3AB6A.jpeg

AB86187F-0F88-4BCE-ACDA-78A0BF4BF406.jpeg

• Enjoyed 9

12 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Great haul! You sure are coming up with some nice honey holes! Those gastropod blocks look nice too!

Thank you Ludwigia! I’m happy with the spots I have, though I will be spending some time searching for more spots closer to me, since the known woodbine honey holes are about 45 minutes away. I have a spot in mind about 30 minutes southeast of me that I need to try. We’ll see how it goes next week..

those gastropod blocks were found in the shape you see, easy to remove. Those are the first I’ve found that were small enough to carry with me :)

On 11/12/2023 at 7:54 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, I rather like those gastropod blocks too. :)

Thanks! I didn’t even realize until later that the block on the left actually has mostly turritella ammonites that have a cone shape, which makes it even better in my eyes! I will definitely be keeping those

4 minutes ago, Shaun-DFW Fossils said:

Thanks! I didn’t even realize until later that the block on the left actually has mostly turritella ammonites

Turritella is a gastropod genus, not an ammonite.

• I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Turritella is a gastropod genus, not an ammonite.

Thank you guys, that’s why I shouldn’t post at random times when I wake up during the night. :heartylaugh:

I thought he was saying they were ammonites (turrilites) but he corrected himself and confirmed what I initially thought, that they’re gastropods like you said! Back to turritella being the right ID. I’ll get more confident in trusting my initial sense of accuracy as I learn more and see more..thanks for catching the error!