Here to Learn about Fossils of all kinds!

CrinoidConnoisseur

• New Members

Hi everyone! Longtime human recently turned into amateur fossil hunter. I currently am in the Twin Cities in Minnesota, and have been for the past 5 years. I've been enjoying lots of the beautiful nature the state has had to offer in my downtime, even during the winters which are not as bad anymore. 

I will say that I have always loved paleontology! That, marine biology and astronomy are what propelled my love for science, and what have pushed me to pursue a PhD in Chemistry. I never knew fossil hunting was an activity anyone can do, or even possible to do, until earlier this past summer. I had an awesome trip to the beach with family, and while everyone swam, I would walk the shoreline for hours looking for shells of different sizes, colors and species for almost a whole week. Toward the end of my trip, I went to a marine biology museum and talked to some of the curators and learned that fossil shark teeth are a usual find by beachcombers, but usually you had to have an idea of the shape or accidentally bump into it. I was so thrilled to learn that was possible, so I made it my objective to at least find one tooth by the end of the trip! And I am glad to say that I found quite a few in a couple of hours of trying! I even found a few other fossils (a small piece of soft shell turtle carapace, a crab claw, not shown)

Since then, I've been trying to do some research when I can (again, graduate student so I have other research duties!) and try to explore the natural history of Minnesota. I've found the broken up pieces of braciopods shells everywhere on the Platteville limestone on the Mississippi River, as well as bryozoans, a few gastropods and cephalopods, and, as my username implies, a whole slew of crinoid segment and columnals! Crinoids just speak to me, and I find those circular wonders everywhere! Most recently, I recently went to a trip to SE Minnesota and met up with a well known Forum member and went hunting for giant gastropods. It was a super success! Even if there was certain fossils we couldn't remove. 

IMG_2118.PNG.357f3738ba5a96bcea8479379a59a4f5.PNG

That's a little about me, and I'm looking forward to learning more from everyone around here! I'm hoping to get help with FossilID for some things that I have found, and maybe connecting with others that know the area or neighboring states like Iowa! I would love to get a general idea of where to hunt, and go on more adventures and make some friends! If you'd like to see some of my finds, I'm more than happy to post some of those here as well :)

Edited by CrinoidConnoisseur
  • Enjoyed 1

• New Members

1077337808_Untitled(2).thumb.png.95c6ea5f65be8557633fee2b4228602e.png

Whoo! Some of my images failed to upload. I finally got them to work. These are the teeth I found on my family trip to the beach. 

• New Members

1040380397_Untitled(1).thumb.png.6b0338eb7567849b50fcb3623968efa0.png

And here is the gastropod I saw and left for the world to see. It's just so beautiful in its natural environment.

• Enjoyed 1

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :meg:

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome from Illinois.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!