A new find in Tarrant County TX and a question…

Shaun-DFW Fossils

I had to return some clothes to the shopping mall yesterday. Rather, I volunteered to return them with a spot in mind that is right next to the mall where I found some big boy ammonites, eopachydiscus upwards of 15-19inches. The rain uncovered a nice one that was in loose soil. For some reason, many of the ammonites in this creek are really worn down in the center. How do you all handle removing matrix if you’re concerned about leaving a hole in the middle? I’m thinking I can simply “file” down the matrix until it looks like it’s as far as I can go using some sort of air abrasive tool? This one is 15.5 inches and I like the symmetrical shape and visible ridges. Many eop. I find are smooth around the outside without the wavy appearance. Different species?

891A0BA6-DCEE-46CA-8CEF-7EAD56F2A3F5.jpeg

3EA12F04-5F93-4918-A668-4323A860F08F.jpeg

73C950A2-EF18-4811-8ED5-1EB1B077D3DA.jpeg

• Enjoyed 8

7 hours ago, BobC said:

Eo's get huge. I have one that is three feet across.

Wow! That must be fairly rare! I heard about one that auctioned in Arizona that was 5.5 feet across. Wow

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

I took a risk and popped off the protruding chunk of matrix stuck to the “good side” of this eopachydiscus. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn’t leave a gaping hole through the middle. Mission accomplished!

EDAE9E93-71F2-4084-9CB0-69F3237FBF8D.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1