Question about preparation tools

Aman

Hey all,

I was thinking of getting a dremel 290 or similar engraver so that I can prepare some of the fossils I have, because at the moment I'm using nothing but needlepoints and steel bristled brushes. As you can imagine, using this is extremely slow and not very effective. I just wanted to ask if anyone had any advice on if there are better alternatives or if I need any other equipment (such as additional tips). I already have goggles to protect my eyes and a buff to protect my lungs, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I think it's also worth mentioning that I am mostly planning on working on fossils from limestones, however I may need to work on some shales or sandstones as well, if that changes the equipment I need.

Edited by Aman
Made a typo and needed to correct it

I would suggest you peruse our fossil preparation section. You'll be sure to come up with a lot of answers to your questions there. For instance, here is a thread which could be helpful.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hi! Welcome to the wonderful world of fossil preparation! I have used and continue to use the Dremel 290 and a couple of knockoff brand vibrating engravers. I have prepped everything from snails to oreodont skulls with them. The variable stroke on them is nice and allows it to work on a range of different materials. I do recommend replacing the tips with a harder tip ( like carbide) otherwise they dull really quickly.

Better tips can be found all over the web. There are a few things to watch out for. The vibration can be too much for badly fractured pieces or fragile pieces so make sure all cracks are glued before you start and as you go. And stop sometimes to check and make sure no new ones are opening up. Also don’t set the fossil on a hard surface if possible.

On some fossils it concentrates the force too much. I like to hold smaller pieces in my hand or set larger pieces on foam or suchlike. You want the force hitting the matrix you’re removing not transferring through the piece. Also let the tool do the work don’t try to force it… take your time as you go consolidating the piece as you go if needed. Also rest your hand from time to time. The vibration can cause some damage and/or numbness to your hand over extended and prolonged use.

I hope this helps!

If you have any questions feel free to ask and as @Ludwigia has said check out the preparing section of the forum for tips and tricks and good advice!

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2