Transitional Paleocarcharodon tooth from Morrocoo

Josh_irving

Hi all,

Looking at purchasing this tooth. To me it looks like a transitional morphology between O. obliqus and P. Orientalis, but would like a second opinion. 

Thanks in advance.

lightX-2023-11-18T171340_098.thumb.webp.21a44e8e75c86cf4027749dab8db806f.webp

lightX-2023-11-18T171340_937.thumb.webp.951eaa5a428bccf4987a4ed598372bd1.webp

• Enjoyed 1

Otodus obliquus and Palaeocarcharodon orientalis did not transition between each other.

There are unserrated and partially serrated P. orientalis teeth that predate the fully serrated ones. I’m not sure if this is a partially serrated example or not as the image quality is not great and has some weird digital artifacts in it (likely created when editing out the background).

This tooth is damaged and repaired (glued back together). Whether that bothers you or not is a matter personal preference, though if you keep looking, you’ll find plenty of unrepaired P. orientalis teeth (including transitional ones, though they’re not quite as common) from Morocco.

• I found this Informative 1

11 hours ago, bthemoose said:

Otodus obliquus and Palaeocarcharodon orientalis did not transition between each other.

There are unserrated and partially serrated P. orientalis teeth that predate the fully serrated ones. I’m not sure if this is a partially serrated example or not as the image quality is not great and has some weird digital artifacts in it (likely created when editing out the background).

This tooth is damaged and repaired (glued back together). Whether that bothers you or not is a matter personal preference, though if you keep looking, you’ll find plenty of unrepaired P. orientalis teeth (including transitional ones, though they’re not quite as common) from Morocco.

ok thank you very much