Alston Gee

I recently acquired three tooth fossils from southwestern China initially labeled as a "Plesiosaurus indet." tooth. The specific locality of the tooth fossils is the Lower Shaximiao Formation, Zigong, Sichuan, China.

The age of the Lower Shaximiao formation ranges from Early to Middle Jurassic. The only known plesiosaur species from the Shaximiao formation is Bishanopliosaurus zigongensis, a rhomaleosaurus. If these three tooth are indeed identified as a plesiosaur tooth, they probably belong to Bishanopliosaurus sp.

Can anyone help me to identify whether these teeth are plesiosaur teeth?

47f07cd3c3e95a3183f4c6ff0d971cbf.jpeg

d77fa098141fea2f4dfc8bf253969b05.jpeg

eece8914db714dbd3b08ff6e842b3e4b.jpeg

Sorry for arriving late to the party! It's been rather busy and it seems like the post afterwards slipped my mind. However, here are my thoughts on the teeth:

The first and third tooth are crocodile teeth, as they've got carinae, which plesiosaurs wouldn't have. See the images below as to where these are located, marked in red.

SouthChinacrocodiletooth01.thumb.jpg.3ded9f878ad0cc05d40c0498b7e9ed88.jpgSouthChinacrocodiletooth02.thumb.jpg.21e00d59799d06a65a345d72073647e5.jpg

In contrast, the middle/second tooth is a bit trickier to identify, as there's no clear indication of a carina. However, seeing how the striae in the lower left side of it terminate before reaching the ridglet that overlies it - a trait seen in crocodile teeth, but not in plesiosaurian ones, where striations tend to merge - I suspect this is a crocodile tooth as well...

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett