Which Layers to look in? In Alberta’s Badlands

Anastasiapituley

Hello everyone new member here, I am planning a trip down to drumheller and I know that the first step in fossil hunting in knowing the geology and which layers to look in, and unfortunately as much as I try to research and learn it I still don’t understand, Id really really reallyyyy appreciate if anyone could help me to learn which layers to look at when fossil hunting in the badlands.

And don't forget the first step before this first step... make sure you have landowner permission.  

What layers to look in depends on what you want to find.  It may be safe to assume that dinosaur bones are your target, but there are plenty of non-Cretaceous badleands in Alberta.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, Anastasiapituley said:

Hello everyone new member here, I am planning a trip down to drumheller and I know that the first step in fossil hunting in knowing the geology and which layers to look in, and unfortunately as much as I try to research and learn it I still don’t understand, Id really really reallyyyy appreciate if anyone could help me to learn which layers to look at when fossil hunting in the badlands.

If you haven't been able to come to an understanding by reading the available literature as you seem to be saying, then anything anyone tells you here will probably also sound like gobbledygook to you. One can only learn through study and field experience, so I would suggest you look around your area for a rockhounding club where members could teach you some things firsthand. If you're going to Drumheller, why not visit the museum first and perhaps ask one or two of the coworkers there for some advice?

• I Agree 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

And also remember that anything you find is the property of the province. You can certainly keep it, but you can't even give it away outside the province without an official disposition number. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

24 minutes ago, automech said:

Welcome to the Forum from Maryland. Searching this website will help also.

just an fyi, you didn't paste a link, just in case you were intending to :)

2 hours ago, patelinho7 said:

just an fyi, you didn't paste a link, just in case you were intending to :)

I think he meant The Fossil Forum.  ;)

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me