Gerry Peters

Looks a lot like Hemipristis which is Eocene and younger. Is this a personal find? 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

• New Members
Just now, Al Dente said:

Looks a lot like Hemipristis which is Eocene and younger. Is this a personal find? 

Found by a friend and definitely Cretaceous . The only Cretaceous shark teeth I have personally found are all squalicorax and one (probable) hybodus -attached. 

image.jpg

13 minutes ago, Gerry Peters said:

The only Cretaceous shark teeth I have personally found are all squalicorax and one (probable) hybodus -attached. 

Do you have a photo of the other side of the “hybodus” tooth? Looks like it might be a fragment of fish jaw.

• New Members
1 minute ago, Al Dente said:

Do you have a photo of the other side of the “hybodus” tooth? Looks like it might be a fragment of fish jaw.

I agree with you and I’m open to changing my identification. Here’s some more pics. 

IMG_7641.jpeg

IMG_7640.jpeg

IMG_7638.jpeg

IMG_7637.jpeg

IMG_7631.jpeg

IMG_7630.jpeg

IMG_7634.jpeg

IMG_7632.jpeg

IMG_7633.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

• New Members

FYI this “hybodus” tooth is from the Millwood Member of the Pierre Formation not from the Favel. Campanian not Cenomanian. 

The first tooth looks like a worn Hemipristis serra, which is from the Miocene. And even if it's not, it is not a Cretaceous shark. The only Cretaceous shark with serrated teeth were Squalicorax.

• I Agree 4

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

OK with Hemipristis serra.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• New Members
3 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

The first tooth is definitely a Hemipristis tooth and definitely not from the Cretaceous.

Marco Sr.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

This tooth was found in the northern Great Plains (southern Manitoba) where we have next to no Miocene deposits surviving due to extensive glaciation which removed up to two kilometers of Cenozoic sediments, including Miocene.
Without the Cretaceous age Western Interior Seaway, we are over 1000 kilometres from the nearest marine environment. 

This tooth is creating a bigger mystery than expected, I’ll have to keep digging…

I am attaching a pic of another tooth that was found in the same bed. 

IMG_8016.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

That would be a Lemon shark, again from the Miocene. Not a Cretaceous tooth.

• I Agree 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

2 hours ago, Gerry Peters said:

I am attaching a pic of another tooth that was found in the same bed. 

Did you find this one? If you are collecting in a well-known fossil site, I would suggest that someone dumped some fossils from their collection there, either to let their kids enjoy finding a fossil or playing a trick on other collectors. Here's another misplaced Hemipristis that was posted yesterday- https://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/137717-identify-tooth/#comment-1459035

• I Agree 1

• New Members
45 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Did you find this one? If you are collecting in a well-known fossil site, I would suggest that someone dumped some fossils from their collection there, either to let their kids enjoy finding a fossil or playing a trick on other collectors. Here's another misplaced Hemipristis that was posted yesterday- https://www.thefossilforum.com/topic/137717-identify-tooth/#comment-1459035

It was found in the Assiniboine River bank at a fairly remote location but I am starting to suspect it is someone’s idea of a joke. I’ve found hundreds of Cretaceous fossils as well as Ordovician since these are the only significant fossil ages in Manitoba. Not all are identifiable due to lack of detail but this is the first recognizable fossil that doesn’t fit with our strata. I have contacted the Paleo Dept. at the University of Manitoba for any insight.